RIP OCZ. We'll miss you.

4745454b

Titan
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7549/ocz-files-for-bancrupty-toshiba-offers-to-buy-the-assets

I'll always remember them for the 520W PSU they put out that for me kick started the current "high end" PSU market. Thing was a beast in its day and no one else had anything even close. The voltage adjust screws in the back were pretty much a gimmick. I'm sure we'll end up missing them. They had their hands in lots of things.

As a side note I know most of you know them for their SSDs. But all my SSDs are Samsung. :p

4745454b

Titan
Indeed, that seems to be the general consensus. As I said above I've never used them. Samsung gets high marks and that's so far all I've used. My OS sits on a 128GB *used* 470. I've had it and used it for over a year now and not a problem. 280MBps read/write. The article I linked said OCZ had a lot of problems once Samsung came in so I guess I'm slightly to blame (along with a lot of others) for OCZs downfall.

By extension I guess this also means the end of PCP&C seeing as OCZ bought them. This is horrible as one great and one good/ok PSU player is leaving. It will be interesting if Toshiba ends up buying them and their laptop/computers are shipped with PCP&C PSUs...

I have an Agility 3 that I bought because I thought it would be a cheap way to see what an SSD's performance would be like and it has been so unstable I can't even be bothered to use it now. It has the latest firmware which did seem to be better but I only ran it for a week or so but because of folding I need to be able to leave the machines on for longer than that.

4745454b

Titan
I don't know anything about their agility series. I think the Vertex 3 and/or 4 were supposed to be good. IDK, I've heard horror stories about SSDs. But the Samsung's I've been running have been great. Really happy with my drive choices at the moment. Only bad thing is I bought my case with the point of doing backups and I haven't started doing that yet. It has hot swap bays and I should be plugging in my retired 2TB green drive in every now and then to back up important stuff. When I get around to it will be to late.

Regarding the title of the post: some may miss them but I sure won't! I have 2 OCZ Vertex 2s sitting on the shelf because they are incompatible with the Z87 chipset. Such sloppy engineering!

In contrast, I love my Samsung 840 Pro! Blazing performance and never a need for "chkdsk", like on the Vertex 2s.

Yogi

To OCZs credit, back before they started spreading themselves out and were concentrating solely on their system memory modules, they released some really good memory, and all their old memory modules I purchased are still running strong on machines I built.

Same here. Their DIMMs were great, any OCZ modules I have are still in use today in one machine or another. Their other products were okay of not crap.

I might do in the future but that still don't stop their SSD's from being sucky does it? And it was a couple of years ago now that I bought that SSD.

TRENDING THREADS