RIP: Star Wars Galaxies 2003 - 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Why don't developers open source games like this when they kill them off? Or at least release their server software so there could be user hosted servers.

frye

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
[citation][nom]Zanny[/nom]Why don't developers open source games like this when they kill them off? Or at least release their server software so there could be user hosted servers.[/citation]

Like George Lucas would let that happen.

lunaticwoda

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
The early days were wonderful times. As a very veteran MMO player SWG was one of my favorite MMO's of all time. You can have good graphics game-play etc but SWG was unique, it's most powerful feature was the community. Its not like today's games like WoW where you grind grind grind than raid. You could play SWG for hours at a time not caring about that stuff and ENJOY the game and socialize. It will truly be missed

Also for those interested. In SWTOR (Dark Reaper) server we will continue the SWG legacy in the guild "Tatooine Hit Squad" Join us today! whisper Lunaticwoda :D

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
ask me lucas arts shoudl give galaxy players a free copy of SWTOR , sure you loose 50 bucks on that , but seriously the game wil have a subscription of 14 bucks a month i doubt they would l;oose money doing that

sissysue

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
[citation][nom]JimmiG[/nom]One of the many reasons I don't like online-only games *goes back to play some Morrowind (2002)*[/citation]
Can't remember what I did with my copy but it was fun. SkyRim is good but the random crashes suck. I like the fact if you want the best weapons you better get your smithing skills up to at least 60 so you can upgrade enchanted weapons. PC only, Nexus mod community is the place.

Dyseman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
NGE Ruined my experience on SWG. My past was EQ launch until DAoC launch until SWG launch until NGE (New Game Experience) then I went dormant. Played WoW Beta but eventually went to EQ2 from Launch until the launch of RIFT. That game gave me no satisfaction, so I quit 2 months after it's launch and just now, I've started with SWTOR. Was getting antsy for some MMO fun again.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]sissysue[/nom]Can't remember what I did with my copy but it was fun. SkyRim is good but the random crashes suck. I like the fact if you want the best weapons you better get your smithing skills up to at least 60 so you can upgrade enchanted weapons. PC only, Nexus mod community is the place.[/citation]I haven't had Skyrim crash on me for a long time, a couple of patches back. Even before the patches, I think I crashed a total of three times, and it wasn't random. It was immediately after using quick travel. If you're getting a lot of random crashing, you might want to look at your system as the culprit.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
had nothing to do with it being Sony... I bet the liscence for SWTOR is exclusive, i.e. "we will be the only star wars mmo"

I will always remember SWG as being the first MMO i got sick of grinding on.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]Draven35[/nom]had nothing to do with it being Sony... I bet the liscence for SWTOR is exclusive, i.e. "we will be the only star wars mmo"I will always remember SWG as being the first MMO i got sick of grinding on.[/citation]

Yeah, grinding is the biggest problem with these games, to be blunt on the matter. That is why I don't play any MMO's anymore and have gone back to regular RPG's and hidden-object Big Fish games.

Grinding = killing the game for me and many others.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Draven35[/nom]had nothing to do with it being Sony... I bet the liscence for SWTOR is exclusive, i.e. "we will be the only star wars mmo"I will always remember SWG as being the first MMO i got sick of grinding on.[/citation]

"After an eight-year run, Sony Online Entertainment has officially pulled the plug on the subscription-based MMORPG Star Wars Galaxies."

I guess I read that wrong???

livn4metal

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
[citation][nom]jaysbob[/nom]It was as if millions of voices cried out at once, and were suddenly silenced.[/citation]

*hundreds. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS