Question Ripjaws V no XMP?

Jun 18, 2019
Hi all, I was wondering if anybody could help with the following,

I have just built a new PC and everything seems to be working well apart from the memory will not dual channel and the option is missing from BIOS to apply XMP.

I have a Gigabyte Z390 UD which is currently running the latest (F7) BIOS, and I have installed 2 sticks of 8GB RipJaws V Part Number F4-2666C19D-16GVR into B2 and A2.

XMP profile is not an option in BIOS. I tried an older pair of sticks from my sons machine to try to troubleshoot (F4-2666C15D-16GVR) and the option becomes available, and works fine with dual channel.

I have also reset BIOS to see if that would help, it didn't.

Help!

D

Deleted member 217926

It IS default DDR4 and there's no XMP.

Tested Speed​
2666MHz​

Tested Latency​
19-19-19-43​

vs

SPD Speed​
2666MHz​

SPD Voltage​
1.20v​
Look at this higher end kit.

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-4266c19d-16gtza

Tested Speed​
4266MHz​

Tested Latency​
19-19-19-39​

vs

SPD Speed​
2133MHz​

SPD Voltage​
1.20v​

The 4266 kit is factory overclocked 2133. Your 2666 kit is native 2666.

Jun 18, 2019
Hmm, not the news I wanted to hear but thanks for the rapid response :)

My fault, I presumed a brand new pair of 2666 sticks would of course be XMP. The page linked even says XMP 2.0 support.

It definitely says Dual Channel support, any ideas on how to make this dual channel?

Jun 18, 2019
Yea, sorry, I haven't been involved in building a PC for a long long time so I am well out of date.

CPU-Z confirms running 16GB as dual channel, the terrible benchmarks must be down to the fact that it is, as anort3 pointed out, just low end memory.

Looks like another shopping trip may be in order,

Thanks all, very helpful.

2666 isn't a terrible speed for an Intel system. Heck I was running mine at 2133 for the longest time as I forgot to turn on xmp. While I did notice a slight improvement in cinebench, xmp vs not, gaming was a negligible difference. What bad benchmarks are you referring to?

What are you using the pc for? Do you feel it's not performing as it should?

You could possibly exchange for better ram, but I don't think I'd run out and spend unneeded money If performance is still decent. Going from 2666 to 3000/3200 will see less than noticeable changes. Anything higher will just make your wallet lighter, unless for some extreme reason you have to have crazy fast ram.

Jun 18, 2019
I have no real personal expectation, this is the first PC I have built in a long time and I have been gaming on potatoes during that time, so its actually like lightning, it just benches at 75% on userbenchmark for memory (I think the percentage is against expectation with the rest of the spec and the memory spec) with the message

Performing below potential (20th percentile) - ensure that a dual+ channel XMP BIOS profile is enabled

while everything else is over 100%

The actual speed still shows as 'Very Good' but everything else is 'Outstanding'.

Like I said above, I tried a pair of sticks out of my sons machine and they were like NZ$30 more, and they benched at over 100%, they were also 2666 but with XMP enabled and lower latency.

I get what you are saying, they are not actually bad, but I have just built what for me is a serious machine (I7 8700, RTX2060, Evo Pro 1TB nvme SSD etc) and spent a fair bit of money, its just a bit disappointing.

I am getting in touch with the vendor as the ad clearly says XMP 2.0 support, which they don't have, so I am hoping they will do a return and I can give them the small difference for the lower latency memory.

Real world though, I have a feeling you are right and I should still be happy with my new PC, and if I cant sort the exchange, its not the end of the world,

Thanks again :)

D

Deleted member 217926

Faster memory can make a pretty decent impact on some games with an Intel system. You find that it has more of an effect at lower resolutions and some games see more benefit than others. It really depends on the game engine. Arma III and Fallout 4 are examples of games that scale well.

cCxjL70.png

mXq4LAD.png

tiOjfQN.png

Once you hit 4K memory speed really stops mattering as much as the load bias is almost all on the GPU but even at 1440p there can be some increased performance.

All in all you mostly don't want to run the lowest supported RAM speed.

RAM is not "factory overclocked" like a GPU would be since it is controlled by the CPU/motherboard. If using a motherboard that can adjust settings or support XMP Profile, the user can adjust BIOS settings to clock the RAM higher than the default DDR4-2133/2400. With a G.Skill QVL certified motherboard, XMP Profile should work flawlessly with a capable CPU.

XMP Profile is only necessary for memory specifications that do not fall within JEDEC standards. In this case, DDR4-2666 CL19 is supported by JEDEC, so it means the latest motherboards and CPUs that can support DDR4-2666 can use this RAM without BIOS changes. The only purpose of XMP Profile is to automatically configure settings in BIOS with one single adjustment if the motherboard is certified for use with the memory kit. Since the specs of the DDR4-2666 CL19 kit falls within JEDEC standards, XMP Profile is not necessary since it is automatically configured without any BIOS adjustment. In other words, you are not missing out on anything by not having XMP Profile. It can also be perceived as better since this memory model can work in standard builds and motherboards that do not have adjustment for BIOS, but can support DDR4-2666; whereas kits with XMP Profiles typically default to DDR4-2133/2400.

Simply because it does not have a XMP Profile does not mean it is slow or inferior in any way. It is a high frequency and if you want to OC or lower timings with more DRAM Voltage it can surely do it as well. You have many options with this RipJaws V memory kit.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 217926

RAM however, IS binned with the highest quality and most universally compatible chips ( Samsung B-die etc ) put in the best, highest speed / lowest latency kits. JEDEC standard 2666 cas 19 is very likely to NOT be one of those binned chips known for being overclock friendly. Unless it's new Samsung A-die? Jury is still out on if it's going to be a worthy B-die successor. Probably though.

DDR4 2666 actually is slow by today's standards. It's standard supported speed for the Intel 9xxx series IMC. And in the enthusiast space ( he has a Z390 board ) cas 19 is terrible for anything under DDR4 4266. There's certainly nothing wrong with what he has but it's a kit aimed at a locked chipset and CPU not at a higher end enthusiast home built gaming computer. :)

Reactions: Weebl1
If you just want to game an you have an 8/9th gen hex core i5 witout hyper-threading, don't worry about memory bandwidth. What you have is fine and is perfectly adequate. If you have an i9 9900k and you're doing intensive media creation/video editing, rendering, game streaming. That, is where you'll see an increase in performance with higher bandwidth/frequency memory.

Jun 18, 2019
Just to close the loop on this one, I thought I would post the resolution.

I was using the system as was, and was getting crashes back to Steam about every 10-15 minutes while playing Rust.

I was going down to Wellington anyway, so popped the Gskill out, put it back in the packaging and took it with me, went into the retailer and told them it wasn't behaving and wasn't XMP as advertised.

The guy took it out back to test it, and when he came back, confirmed it wasn't XMP (which you guys had already confirmed for me) and he could only get it to run at 1333 (I am presuming as he seemed to be some kind of tech he took into account the DDR so it was running 1333 DDR, but who knows?)

He refunded me without any qualms, and i bought some Kingston Hyper X Predator 3200 CL16, and paid an extra $6.10.

After setting the BIOS, and a couple of reboots, it now benches very well and as yet hasn't crashed out of Rust.

I know I could have bought much better memory, but for what amounted to a cup of coffee extra I am more than stoked.

Once again, thanks guys for all the help.