[SOLVED] Ripped CPU out of socket

bureksasir

Reputable
Jan 5, 2020
CPU got stuck to cooler and I wasn't used to this as this never happened before, as i thought the screws just got stuck and ripped my ryzen directly out, no pins were seen as "bent", and the system fires up, recognizes all 16 gigs of memory and all the cache is shown correctly, should I be worried about anything?

Thanks,

Matic

Solution
Processors are amazingly resilient. I was helping my son's friend who "swears he was gentle" :) installing his new AMD. I took the processor to work to use a bench scope to help straighten all the pins. Booted right up. Did the same for my daughter after her new CPU was "boy-friended". Still booted.

It's going to be fine.
CPU got stuck to cooler and I wasn't used to this as this never happened before, as i thought the screws just got stuck and ripped my ryzen directly out, no pins were seen as "bent", and the system fires up, recognizes all 16 gigs of memory and all the cache is shown correctly, should I be worried about anything?

Thanks,

Matic
If no pins got bent and it runs....
I'd say probably not.

Alright, I haven't gotten any bluescreens, just wondering if anything could be really wrong as it fires up and recognizes everything, no crashes in 2 hours yet. Probably fine right?
I think probably fine. I have had some pretty bad things happen to CPUs and sockets....and if I get it to the point you are at.....usually that's it....I'm done.....it works....and stays working.

cgilley

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
Processors are amazingly resilient. I was helping my son's friend who "swears he was gentle" :) installing his new AMD. I took the processor to work to use a bench scope to help straighten all the pins. Booted right up. Did the same for my daughter after her new CPU was "boy-friended". Still booted.

It's going to be fine.

Solution

bureksasir

Reputable
Jan 5, 2020
If you have to remove the heatsink again in the future it's easy. You unscrew the heatsink and you rotate it gently a few time. Should lift up without the CPU next time.
Alright, thanks. Will take that into consideration next time 😀

It's going to be fine.
Yeah, I really thought I bent something and it was such a relief when it just fell into place in the socket, was just worried I broke something haha

cgilley

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
Okay, I know I'm not completely up to date on lingo, but what is "boy-friended"?
That's where the boyfriend wants to show how "smart" he is, so instead of aligning the pins, he forces it. Then he refuses to admit what he did. :)

he is no longer boyfriend. lol, I have 6 daughters, it's a common phrase around here.