[SOLVED] Ripped out PCIE retention clip

JanSimek

Reputable
May 11, 2016
Greetings, i own an Aorus z390 Master motherboard with a 2080ti sitting on it (the huge msi trio version) I was adding some case fans and needed to move things around, so i decided to remove the GPU for better access to the fan headers. Disconnected the gpu power connectors, unscrewed it from the case and tried to pull it out. It was stuck. I totally forgot there is a retention clip on the pcie slot (silly me) it is hardly visible with such a giant of a card sitting in the pcie slot. Well, long story short, i used quite a bit of force to pull the gpu out, the retention clip went flying out of the case. Of course, i panicked and instantly tried to put everything back together to see if it works so i did not take any pictures. The pcie slot seems to be intact. It has a metal cover on it to prevent physical damage and the retention clip seems to be removable as i was able to snap it back in its place. The system works.

how likely is it that i damaged something in the pcie slot or on the contacts of the gpu itself? basically im worried the system might die as a result of this stupid action.

adding a google pic of the exact same mobo model pcie slot :
(mine looks the same after putting the clip back in, looks intact)

also adding a google pic of a gpu pcb, the piece of the pcb next to the contacts marked with red circle goes into the retention clip.
could there be any long term damage to the gpu pcb caused by pulling hard on the gpu while that piece was locked in? it seems to be intact on my gpu aswell.

the fact the mobo has metal reinforced pcie slots and removable retention clips tells me the manufacturer expects something like this to happen at some point during the products life.

Am i safe?

View: https://imgur.com/a/urLf251

View: https://imgur.com/a/hFCZNXF

Last edited:
Solution
Hello LordVile and thank you for the response.

Nope, both the hook on the gpu and the retention clip seem to be in perfect condition as if nothing happened. Same with the pcie slot. Im just worried there might be damage that im unable to see somewhere inside the mobo or under the gpu heatsink on the pcb. Really used a decent amount of force to pull it out.
Should be fine, if there was any damdge it would be to the PCIE connector on the GPU and you'd notice that. Same with the board if there was any damage you'd be well ware.
Wait did you break the little retention hook on the GPU itself or did you just pull out the plastic lever on the motherboard next to the PCIE slot?

If its the latter and it's intact then you'll be fine they just clip in and out. I've done the same to mine.

JanSimek

Reputable
May 11, 2016
Wait did you break the little retention hook on the GPU itself or did you just pull out the plastic lever on the motherboard next to the PCIE slot?

If its the latter and it's intact then you'll be fine they just clip in and out. I've done the same to mine.

The plastic lever next to the pcie slot went flying out of the case once the gpu finally came out. (the sound it made had me thinking something must be broken off in half) but both the hook on the gpu itself and the plastic lever seem to be in perfect condition as if nothing happened, same with the pcie slot. I was able to put the lever back in its place. Im just worried there might be damage that im unable to see somewhere inside the mobo or under the gpu heatsink on the pcb. Really used a decent amount of force to pull it out.

Last edited:

Nope, both the hook on the gpu and the retention clip seem to be in perfect condition as if nothing happened. Same with the pcie slot. Im just worried there might be damage that im unable to see somewhere inside the mobo or under the gpu heatsink on the pcb. Really used a decent amount of force to pull it out.
Should be fine, if there was any damdge it would be to the PCIE connector on the GPU and you'd notice that. Same with the board if there was any damage you'd be well ware.

Reactions: JanSimek
Solution