Ripped wire from molex connector

Syrus Hussain

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
So i was upgrading my psu and made a terrible mistake. My case has two fans on the side panel which are 3 pins that goes to a board of some sort and receives power from a 2 pin to molex connector. Well i managed to tear off one of the wires (there are two wires one black and one red, the red is torn off). Closer inspection shows that the black just sits there with contact with the pin, so can i just re sit the red wire and make the copper wire make contact to the pin? What will happen if it doesnt make full contact or can it damage any parts in any sort of way? If its too risky i have 2 more options. Option 1 the molex has a 2 pin connector to the board, but i cant pull it out without it feeling like it is going to snap. Is there any way i can pull it out? If i can i can order a 2 pin to molex connector of amazon or something. Option 2 the fans are actually 3 pin headers connected to the board (but only has two wires going two pins) can i plug those directly to my motherboard? They are 2 4 pin headers marked with case fans. Would it work?

I won't be able to post any pictures of the damage until in the morning. But i do think that connecting the three pins fan headers directly to the motherboard is the safest bet. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. God i feel stupid for this dumb mistake.

Ps the reason i actually need those 2 fans, 1 the make the exterior look complete and 2 it helps to my cpu at 50-60c range. Without its peaking at 80c

Solution
Solution

Syrus Hussain

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Oh sorry if i didnt mention or make it clear, these are standard case fans with a 3 pin header each. They are both connected to a board (a speed controller i think) cant i directly connect them to the motherboard? Thank you jack for the suggestion but i have never used a soldering kit before or how to get one in the uk. Also i might as well buy new fans with that kind of money or research more on the three pin to four pin fan connection....thing..

The tools are an investment which will likely pay for themselves over the years. Soldering kits are available in any HW store... for as low as $15

You don't need a 3 to 4 pin converter ... the 4 pin header on your mobo takes both 3 and 4 pin fans