RIS : "... system doesn't contain a cd-based image ..."

We have finally started to deploy SP4 to our W2K clients,
so I thought it would be a good time to add a new CD-based
image to the RIS server. I took SP4 and used the update -
s:folder command to slipstream the source files with the
service pack. Once the slipstreaming process completed, I
ran Risetup.exe on the RIS server to add the new W2K with
SP4 image to the server.

However, when I try to add a new laptop build to the RIS
server using riprep.exe, I get the following error
message :

The server to which you chose to replicate does not
contain a CD-ROM-based image. The version of the CD-ROM-
based image on the server must match the version of the
system you are attempting to copy. Select a different
server or add a CD-ROM-based image to this server.

Any ideas?

The RIS server must contain RIS images of the same Service Pack level as the
computer you are running RIPREP on. What SP version is the laptop you are
attempting to run RIPREP?

"Stef P" <sfp@europe.com> wrote in message
> We have finally started to deploy SP4 to our W2K clients,
> so I thought it would be a good time to add a new CD-based
> image to the RIS server. I took SP4 and used the update -
> s:folder command to slipstream the source files with the
> service pack. Once the slipstreaming process completed, I
> ran Risetup.exe on the RIS server to add the new W2K with
> SP4 image to the server.
>
> However, when I try to add a new laptop build to the RIS
> server using riprep.exe, I get the following error
> message :
>
> The server to which you chose to replicate does not
> contain a CD-ROM-based image. The version of the CD-ROM-
> based image on the server must match the version of the
> system you are attempting to copy. Select a different
> server or add a CD-ROM-based image to this server.
>
> Any ideas?

I took SP4 and used the update s:folder command to
slipstream the source files with the OS.

Once the slipstreaming process completed, I ran
Risetup.exe on the RIS server to add the new W2K with SP4
image to the server.

However, when I try to add a new laptop build, which is
W2K pro with SP4, to the RIS server using riprep.exe, I
get the error message listed in my initial post.

Does your W2K laptop have any W2K hotfixes / windows updates applied?

> I took SP4 and used the update s:folder command to
> slipstream the source files with the OS.
>
> Once the slipstreaming process completed, I ran
> Risetup.exe on the RIS server to add the new W2K with SP4
> image to the server.
>
> However, when I try to add a new laptop build, which is
> W2K pro with SP4, to the RIS server using riprep.exe, I
> get the error message listed in my initial post.

Managed to resolve the issue.

I included MS04-011 (KB835732) with the new laptop build
and as that wasn't included in the new CD-image I copied
to the RIS server, it wasn't liking it when I tried to use
RIPREP to get the new laptop build up.

Wanted to use Hotfix.exe with the /INTEGRATE switch to
include the hotfix with CD-based image, but the version of
hotfix.exe included with KB835732 doesn't support this.
Not worth all the effort doing a "manual integration" -
will now just use SMS SUS FP to get the hotfixes to the
laptop once built using RIS.

You probably used a update with a SP % extension. You have to copy
the NTOSKRNL.exe from the new machine windows/system32 to the original
image. Net stop the binlsvc service. Then, net start the binlsvc
service. Wait about 2 minutes and try to Ris..