News RISC-V CPU comes to a mini-ITX motherboard — Jupiter features a SpacemiT K1/M1 chip with 2 TOPS of AI performance

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Looks somewhat promising. And here I was just complaining about the lack of boards. Heh whoops.

It's not CPU-socketed, nor does it have a PCI-e 16x on it, but gotta start somewhere.

Anybody know the performance equivalent of a SPACEMIT K1/M1 X60? Is that like using a Tualatin P3 or maybe a first-gen Ryzen?

Findecanor

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
Anybody know the performance equivalent of a SPACEMIT K1/M1 X60? Is that like using a Tualatin P3 or maybe a first-gen Ryzen?
The SpacemiT X60 core is in-order dual-issue, similar to the ARM Cortex-A53 in the Raspberry Pi 3.
However, it has 2×128 vector units (supporting 256-bit vectors) which can run in parallel to the fp unit, whereas the A53 is more like 2×64 which can do either two fp or one 128-bit vector operation per cycle.

The K1 has eight cores though, compared to four in the Raspberry Pi 3's SoC.

Half the cores in the K1 has SpacemiT's proprietary AI instructions (matrix multiplication).
Otherwise, I think the big point for RISC-V fans is that it is RVA22 profile compliant, and has Vector 1.0 — and those are bound to be the new baseline in functionality for future RISC-V application processors.

The benchmarks I've seen so far haven't been compiled for RVA22, so they don't show the CPU's full potential.
They should be marginally better.

Last edited:

ThomasKinsley

Prominent
Oct 4, 2023
This is Raspberry Pi-level territory: interesting for development, but not particularly useful otherwise. To put this in perspective, 5 year old smartphone processors, such as the Snapdragon 855, produce ~7 TOPS (current gen smartphones produce 30+), and they are smaller than ITX boards.

TRENDING THREADS