[SOLVED] Risks in buying older GPU? Sapphire 5600 XT Pulse vs MSI 1080 Gaming X ?

Deer87

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2015
Heya Folks,

I recently ordered a Sapphire 5600 XT pulse, but the marked being what it is, it still hasn't arrived and delivery is unknown.
I ordered it for 2699 Danish kr.
For comparison a MSI 1660 Super Gaming X cost around 2100 Danish kr. if it could be found.

I then saw one selling a MSI 1080 Gaming X for 2500 kr.
According to https://pc-builds.com/compare a 1080 goes toe-to-toe with a 5600 xt.

My questions now are:

• Are there any other risks in buying a 3 gen old card, other than getting one used that holds no varranty?
  • Is it a fair comparison between a 5600xt and a 1080 (non TI)
  • Is the MSI 1080 Gaming X a quiet card - older reviews indicate this, but i would like to hear some hands-on experience.
For reference, my current card is a ASUS 960 Strix 4gb.
I have FD node 304, so the width of the GPU has a lot to say.

Thanks in advance

Solution
There's only 2 items I absolutely refuse to buy used. Gpus and Psus. All else is a gamble, but generally acceptable risk. If it's local. I don't buy from overseas unless it's brand new and from a location that has some trust, like AliXpress.

Even mining cards are somewhat suspect, it all depends on the miner. Pro's will generally use multiple cards in banks of 8-10 or so, and the cards are all run x1 not x16, they are needed for core computational power not graphics output power, and as such that many cards requires serious power. So they get considerably undervolted. They don't run that hot, just long, and dust is kept to a minimum as dirty cards tend to fail, which means bank downtime and loss of computation and possibly a lot of...
Depends on what the card was used for and the environment it was used. I wouldn't buy a card if it was used for mining since mining cards are typically run 24/7 and usually at close to there thermal throttles. If it was used for every day work or gaming I see nothing wrong with it. One thing you may want to do is disassemble the card and replace both the thermal compound and thermal pads (be sure to buy the right thickness) to ensure you get the best thermals possible.

A 1080 will perform better in most games, the same in some and alittle worse in a very few (typically the ones that favor AMD cards). Nvidia also has better drivers then AMD.

Sound wise it will be comparative to just about any dual fan card out there, most cards are within a few db of each other.

M.AGamer

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Heya Folks,

I recently ordered a Sapphire 5600 XT pulse, but the marked being what it is, it still hasn't arrived and delivery is unknown.
I ordered it for 2699 Danish kr.
For comparison a MSI 1660 Super Gaming X cost around 2100 Danish kr. if it could be found.

I then saw one selling a MSI 1080 Gaming X for 2500 kr.
According to https://pc-builds.com/compare a 1080 goes toe-to-toe with a 5600 xt.

My questions now are:

• Are there any other risks in buying a 3 gen old card, other than getting one used that holds no varranty?
  • Is it a fair comparison between a 5600xt and a 1080 (non TI)
  • Is the MSI 1080 Gaming X a quiet card - older reviews indicate this, but i would like to hear some hands-on experience.
For reference, my current card is a ASUS 960 Strix 4gb.
I have FD node 304, so the width of the GPU has a lot to say.

Thanks in advance
Personally i would avoid a used card bro we are talking about a 5 years old card.tbh it's just a headache you may run into many problems if you just want to play games peacefully go with rx 5600xt (the safe side).Going with a used 1080 is riskey it might be a good card or a bad one used for mining so if you can take the risk and deal with it's problem (if happens) go with 1080 overall better fps.

Reactions: Deer87

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's only 2 items I absolutely refuse to buy used. Gpus and Psus. All else is a gamble, but generally acceptable risk. If it's local. I don't buy from overseas unless it's brand new and from a location that has some trust, like AliXpress.

Even mining cards are somewhat suspect, it all depends on the miner. Pro's will generally use multiple cards in banks of 8-10 or so, and the cards are all run x1 not x16, they are needed for core computational power not graphics output power, and as such that many cards requires serious power. So they get considerably undervolted. They don't run that hot, just long, and dust is kept to a minimum as dirty cards tend to fail, which means bank downtime and loss of computation and possibly a lot of money. Pros take care of their stuff.

It's the amateurs that kill mining cards, using a single card at home, and keeping the card at full power in a hotbox, occasionally gaming on it.

Mining cards are pretty rare atm with this latest coin craze, miners are sticking older cards in any pc they can get, older cards might not do as much, but a gpu is a gpu and anything working is better than not having it. It's part of the reason 3rd and 4th Gen Intels are still getting good prices, ppl just need a platform for the gpu to work.

Last edited:
Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I disagree with the complaint about AMD drivers vs Nvidia. I find the latter to be clunky.

That said, the RX 5600 XT and GTX 1080 are about neck and neck, performance-wise, with, according to the GPU Hierarchy Chart, the 5600 having a tiny overall edge over it. The 5600 XT does consume less power.

But, the most important consideration, in my mind, is the 5600 XT being new, vs the 1080 being used. I don't know how warranty laws work in Denmark, but, I would be more comfortable paying only about 8% more (an extra 199kr) to get a new card with full warranty, versus a used card that performs the same. The 199kr savings, in my opinion, is not worth the risk.

Deer87

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2015
Depends on what the card was used for and the environment it was used. I wouldn't buy a card if it was used for mining since mining cards are typically run 24/7 and usually at close to there thermal throttles. If it was used for every day work or gaming I see nothing wrong with it. One thing you may want to do is disassemble the card and replace both the thermal compound and thermal pads (be sure to buy the right thickness) to ensure you get the best thermals possible.

A 1080 will perform better in most games, the same in some and alittle worse in a very few (typically the ones that favor AMD cards). Nvidia also has better drivers then AMD.

Sound wise it will be comparative to just about any dual fan card out there, most cards are within a few db of each other.
Im pretty sure it was a gaming card. Regarding the sound I think I have to disagree in that. If you look at reviews for cards you can usually see them vary from 28/30 dB for the quiet ones to 45 dB for the cheaper ones or those that max out.
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/sapphire_pulse_radeon_rx_5600_xt_6g_review,11.html

My pc is in my living room, so as I said, sound is an issue for me.

Even mining cards are somewhat suspect, it all depends on the miner. Pro's will generally use multiple cards in banks of 8-10 or so, and the cards are all run x1 not x16, they are needed for core computational power not graphics output power, and as such that many cards requires serious power. So they get considerably undervolted. They don't run that hot, just long, and dust is kept to a minimum as dirty cards tend to fail, which means bank downtime and loss of computation and possibly a lot of money. Pros take care of their stuff.

It's the amateurs that kill mining cards, using a single card at home, and keeping the card at full power in a hotbox, occasionally gaming on it.

Mining cards are pretty rare atm with this latest coin craze, miners are sticking older cards in any pc they can get, older cards might not do as much, but a gpu is a gpu and anything working is better than not having it. It's part of the reason 3rd and 4th Gen Intels are still getting good prices, ppl just need a platform for the gpu to work.
Thanks for some very good points. As said above I'm pretty sure it was a gaming card, but nevertheless I'm definitely sticking with the 5600 XT that I ordered. Also since the 1080 is already sold, but it confirms my gut feeling that I should stick with new tech with warranty.

I disagree with the complaint about AMD drivers vs Nvidia. I find the latter to be clunky.

That said, the RX 5600 XT and GTX 1080 are about neck and neck, performance-wise, with, according to the GPU Hierarchy Chart, the 5600 having a tiny overall edge over it. The 5600 XT does consume less power.

But, the most important consideration, in my mind, is the 5600 XT being new, vs the 1080 being used. I don't know how warranty laws work in Denmark, but, I would be more comfortable paying only about 8% more (an extra 199kr) to get a new card with full warranty, versus a used card that performs the same. The 199kr savings, in my opinion, is not worth the risk.
Definitely getting a card with warranty. If I buy one used, I have very little in terms of guarantee, unless the seller was being less that truthful in their description of the ware. A new card from a retailer comes with two years of reklamation rights, although it the burden of proof shifts from seller to buyer during this time. IIRC.

Anyway, thanks a ton for all the answers and help. Ill wait for my Sapphire to arrive... Eventually. Until then I can just be happy that my 960 works.
Cheers!