Risks when putting the computer together.

G

What are the risks of putting together a computer by your own? I personally have never done it, but my brother put his together with a little help and would most likely help me. If you hold the components in the edges and you're very careful with them, are there any big risks? I really really don't want to pay an extra 100$ to have it put together. It's expensive as it is already.

G

Just remember to touch the power supply which usually removes any static on your fingers. As long as your not manhandling anything I would not worry :)

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
If you have carpet in your place, or lots of static electricity...i'd suggest buying an anit-static mat or wrist band.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Numerically the thing that is most prone to being peeped-up is the attachment of the heatsink to the core.

AND PLEASE For god sakes... RTFM! if your not 100% certain you can do it right, DONT! go get a professional. if it costs money for a service charge, so be it.
what is more preferable? a $10 service charge or $150 for a new processor?

if you dont believe me do a search for cracked/crushed processor cores.

AMD chips run hot. The world is getting hotter. Therefore, AMD is causing Global Warming!

G

honestly, putting together a pc is easy - as long as you are well read on how to do it, are patient and carefull, and arent a total freak who caves under extreme frustration. I like working with pcs because of the risk that something will go wrong (and truthfully, it almost never goes the way you plan).....i like to overcome those odds by being well prepared and carefully working out each problem as they come up. you cant just run in there and cram some stuff into the case and the smash it with a bat if it doesnt work on the first shot (surprised how many people deal with technology like this). have fun and treat it as a challange. like climbing a mountain or learning another language.....

ignore everything i say

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i got no idea. people with ZERO experience i guess.
like me.

i admit i am not comfortable taking off my heatsink. i havent done it before.
so im not going to.
so many people charge forward from this point and ah heck their core.
i dont mind paying a service charge for piece of mind.
once ive seen how its done and got pointers MAYBE i will try.

AMD chips run hot. The world is getting hotter. Therefore, AMD is causing Global Warming!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I feel more confident when I install and remove the HSF. The local shop may do a careless job and crack a corner off, it may still work, for awhile. I rather be the one to break it if that is the case.

I just firmly place the HSF on top of the cpu with Artic Silver II or thermal compound. A very light and thin coat on the cpu only about half the size of a pea. I just use my finger to spread the thermal compound, make sure it is clean, you don't want any kind of dirt to cause a gap. Ensure the HSF is always flat against the cpu during the installation process. Even if it is slightly angled you are concentrating the force on the edges of the cpu which could cause chips, cracks or failure. So keeping it always square and flat on the CPU is the first key. A second person would make it easier but I usually have no problem doing it myself. I usually use long nose pliers to attach the two clips that hold the HSF on, this is the time that the cpu will like to tilt, <b>DON'T LET IT TILT, KEEP IT FLAT ON THE CPU</b>. I ensure the clips are fully attached and not just hanging. Also I check to make sure none of the thermal compound oozed out over any briges etc. in fact it shouldn't ooz out at all, if it does you put way to much on and will probably see slightly higher tempertures.

When I boot up the first time I immediately go into the bios while ensuring cpu fan is running and check tempertures until they are at a equalibrium. Then I decide if the HSF is doing its job at idle. Set any bios settings I want to do and continue on while perdically checking tempertures either by hand or program. Its not hard but if you tilt the HSF on applying to cpu expect some sort of damage, maybe minor maybe not.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most coolers now come with a screwdriver notch on the clip. If you know how to use it, there is almost zero chance of hurting anything-push down, pry away, let up, and of it comes! With the older style clips I usually use a screwdriver to push and a pocketknife to pry, a much more delicate proceedure.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

Sounds pretty simple..
What about the fan? What should I have in mind when installing it? It will probably be a Globalwin FOP32. Anything special with that particular fan?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
FOP32 is a well respected cooler, nothing special, just a good, solid cooler. Various users have rated it either slightly better or the same as a VolcanoII for cooling. It should support all current Athlons, and some amount of overclocking.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

I put my new comp together NO PROBLEM AT ALL, with ZERO experience. Just go tom's guide, and it will tell you what to do step by step. And trust me, besides the cpu/hsf combo, no components will break. My agp slot didn't line up correctly, so i forced my video card in nice and hard, and it didn't break. And others may tell you different, but putting my Volcano II on my Duron took me about 15 seconds...

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
just make sure you have a build it on a wooden surfase or something... lay newspapers down if you have to... ive realised that a carpet isnt the best building surface... i figured it out before my static killed anything... one of those static discharde wrist things isnt too bad an idea...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

G

How careful do I need to be when I install the PCI/AGP components? If it gets tight will they hold if I just jam it in and making sure it's not tilted?

G

Also, I fear the moment I'm going to attach the HSB(GlobalWin FOP32-1). Should I?

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
First time builders should go with Intel based system for easy assembly. slap it together and load the OS.

If you want to go the AMD route, be prepared to a multitude of questions for the vendor, PSU, chip rev, mobo rev, ..., then your off to download newest drivers for motherboard and devices. more hassle than its worth, you only save 20 bucks.

Also one huge problem with AMD

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1

Even the most experiance builders can screw up a AMD CPU.
This does not even take into account overheating and causing damage to the core. AMD has a problem with manufacturing currently, they cannot maintain constant core depth and glue placement. many processors were shipped with the glue missing the core = very weak core, and high end HSF spacers that are too big and HSF doesnt touch the core or too small and crushes the core. You will see posts where people say "do not use spacers" this is why.

Intel is almost bullet proof, you cannot cook one if the fan was installed incorrectly or HSF was not plugged in.
Everything is built to Intel specifications not AMD, so you can expect the highest level of compatability.

Need a parts list?

ASUS CUSL2-c
Intel P3, your choice based onyour budget.
PC133 or PC150 SDRAM
any other devices you can drool over will work fine.

This will compete with AMD systems, who cares if you get 120FPS in quake and AMD gets 119. you cannot tell the diff anyway. as far as office performance. AMD has small edge, but who cares if you get 200+ FPS in MS word or it takes .002 seconds to close vs Intels .003 seconds. as long as your machine works great you will be very happy with what you build. performance will not be a problem above 800Mhz.

Go the AMD route and your asking for trouble if your not experiance in all the AMD problems, and how to avoid them.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
You should be just fine with a FOP32. The retension clip on it is designed to apply pressure right in the middle of the HSF, where your CPU core should be. The practical upshot of this is that the HSF should have no tendency to tilt, as long as you don't push on the aluminum fin block or fan. Just use a screwdriver or a pair of needle-nose pliers on the retension clip, and you'll be fine.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

IntelConvert

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
Lot's of good comments; here's one more. Unless you are interested in overclocking (and it doesn't sound like you are), <b>I strongly recommend buying a Retail Box CPU</b>, regardless of whether you decide on AMD or Intel. You will get a factory approved HSF included, and a 3-year factory warranty (which will be honored in the unlikely event that you make a "boo-boo" during installation)!

TRENDING THREADS