Question Riva Tuner on screen display works once, then stops showing in game

Jun 3, 2020
I have built a dozen or so PCs and used MSI Afterburner & Riva Tuner for on screen display when testing game performance. I have never had any issues using it until today.

It was working fine, then at some point it just wasn't anymore. The on screen display would not show up in any game. I tried everything I could think of and every possible solution I could find online, and nothing worked. Eventually, I decided to completely reset my PC (it's a new build anyway, so not a big deal). After resetting, I downloaded MSI Afterburner & Rivia Tuner, installed a game (CS:GO), opened it up and the OSD was working just fine. However, after exiting the game and opening it again, the OSD was gone again.

So, basically, if I uninstall everything, then reinstall everything it will work once. But after that, if I exit out of the game and open it up again, the on screen display will not show up.

I'm guessing there is some setting somewhere in Windows, or Steam, or Riva Tuner, or something that is automatically getting switched on (or off) that is causing a conflict, but I can't figure it out.

Any Ideas? Thanks!!!!

Jun 3, 2020
Thanks, but yes. I'm thinking it has something to do with Steam because I can uninstall Steam then reinstall it and the OSD works. All of my presets are preserved, I can toggle it on and off, everything works as it should. But of I close Steam and then restart it, the OSD will not show up no matter what I try. It's really strange. I haven't checked to see what happens with non-Steam games. That will be my next experiment...