RivaTuner, 4850, and fan speeds based on temp?

kenratboy

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
I am playing with RIvaTuner, and it seems to be working fine. However, I am desperate to find a way to have my fan speed at about 40% at idle, and once the temps start to go up, the fan will spool up (to 50, 60%).

I changed the value to '3' for AutoFanSpeedControl which allows me to edit the Auto Fan settings in the low-level system tweak area, but I have no idea what I am doing in there.

Leaving the fan speed at 40-45% gives me some scary temps in games.

Goal:

-Temps below 70C - 40% fan
-Temps above 70C - 60% fan

Something like that.

I am about ready to return this card and buy a nVidia (9800GTX+ or something) if it means quiet in 2D, and good cooling/temps in 3D.

Thanks!

kenratboy

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Thanks.

My goal is something that will go it automatically (as in, not having to load a new profile for games, and another going back to Windows).

I see Bret on Guru3D has some home-brew BIOS, so I might try that.

G

yeah flashing a bios really does work well...

i flashed my visiontek 4870 to an asus top bios and the fan speeds are much better and the default speeds are higher and the CCC limits are higher

kenratboy

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
WTF, now the table under low-level fan controls has disappeared. I can still select AUTO, but there is no table for me to edit :-/

You have to uncheck the "Autodetect Noob" on the first screen.

:lol: j/k...I haven't adjusted Rivatuner in long enough that I'd probably need to go back and read the guide again too.

kenratboy

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
It came back all of a sudden. If I can edit those entries, I would be happy.

I don't care if this thing is LOUD during mass fragging, but I need quiet when the GPU is running at 1%