RJ11 to RJ45

Michael_246

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
My electrician tells me he has run ethernet cable through my house, but he has it terminating in RJ11 jacks. He says it is 8-wire cat5 cable, is separate from the phone line. He says the RJ11 jack will work for ethernet. Is he wrong? Has he put the wrong jacks on my cable? Can I get an ethernet cable that's RJ11 on one end and RJ45 on the other? Can I use an adapter? I need to (1) plug into the wall jack from my DSL router and then (2) go from the wall to a computer on another floor.

Solution
RJ11 jacks could technically run Ethernet, but it's strongly not recommended.

RJ11 is commonly used for the DSL line, though. Are you sure that's not what you're looking at?
It is common to run cat5 for phone lines but normally you terminate it in rj45. If you want to run a network tell him to change them to rj45. You'll need to install a switch in the utility room where all the lines meet. Preferably with a patch panel.

Yimman

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
Michael_246,

RJ11 and RJ45 standards are not compatible. The RJ11 standard is designed for four-six wires, of which two-four are not used. RJ45 have eight wires of which four are not used. With your house undergoing a rewiring there is only one reason to not replace all RJ11 jacks in the house. That one reason is if you have an analog phone service.

http://www.nexans.com/Sweden/group/doc/en/RJ11v2.pdf

Tell him to only use RJ45 connectors, unless you plan to use analog phone service.

Yimman

Gigabit ethernet uses all four pairs (8 wires). Previous versions would allow you to only use two pairs (four wires).