[SOLVED] RJ45 Passtrhough Connectors do not lock into sockets

tomreedtoon

Honorable
Jul 5, 2017
I'm having problems with the Cat 6 cables I'm making with passthrough connectors. They're convenient because I can check that the wire order is correct, when I often blew it when using closed connectors. But the passthrough connectors don't lock into the sockets. They fall out with the slightest tug. Is there a brand, or supplier of passthrough connectors, that will stay in the blasted socket? Or am I not trimming the wires closely enough after crimping the connector or something? (I feel embarrassed that no one ever asked a similar question in the forums. Is everybody else rich and just go out and buy commercially made cables?)

Solution
I pretty much only use premade cables unless I need a special length. I suspect you are damaging the small plastic tab that hold the plug in place when you are crimping them. I have found some brands of even the closed ones are more susceptible to the tab getting flattened. I always thought it was the cheap tools but a couple I made with a expensive profession crimper did the same thine on certain plugs. I suspect this is a you get what you pay for but I have found no way to tell even looking at them. You can tell if you can touch them though.

You might be able to just bend it back out a bit. Not sure if there are actual brands on these things. The small number of branded ones are extremely expensive, you mess it up a...
I pretty much only use premade cables unless I need a special length. I suspect you are damaging the small plastic tab that hold the plug in place when you are crimping them. I have found some brands of even the closed ones are more susceptible to the tab getting flattened. I always thought it was the cheap tools but a couple I made with a expensive profession crimper did the same thine on certain plugs. I suspect this is a you get what you pay for but I have found no way to tell even looking at them. You can tell if you can touch them though.

You might be able to just bend it back out a bit. Not sure if there are actual brands on these things. The small number of branded ones are extremely expensive, you mess it up a couple times and you would be better off buying a commercial cable.

Making cables is purely a practice thing. You can actually feel when you have the wires seated properly on the closed end plugs.

Solution
You have to be very careful not to flatten the tab while crimping. You just have to be very very careful with those tabs. I use a razor blade to trim the ends when I'm done.

Personally, I prefer to do as much punch panels as possible in my house. Then use commercially made cables from the walls to my equipment. But there are times when i make my own cat6 23awg cables for really long lengths.