[SOLVED] RJ45 Splitter

sone.ted

Reputable
Oct 3, 2017
First to make things clear I am not attempting to bridge two Internet connections. This is about testing and convenience. I plan to get a 100 Mbpa service from the phone company to see if that resolves a chronic disconnect issue with my 1024 cable service. Two different routers both quite good, and somewhat different with the last one being a fairly standard Linksys and the new one being an Asus Mesh. Same issue on both routers but of course the cable company hears the word router and says the problem is yours not us. Clearly there is something erong on the cable line or the local node but the cable company won't do anything until I threaten to leave but before I do that I want to be absolutely sure that the problem is with the cable.

Since this could be a long test because the disconnects occur any time from 1 week to 1 hour i need to be able to switch services between cable and phone. Yes I could physically make the switch but the router and modem are two flights of stairs away and the router is fully Smart phone remote and I have a WiFi power supply that allows me to turn off any of the outlets. So the plan is to split the output from the router, RJ-45, and connect to both the cable and phone modem and only ever having one service provider powered on at a time. If there is a disconnect I can powe down that provider and power up the other.

As you can tell this is all very simple so what I need from you experts is a recommendation for a splitter and most importantly do you see any limitations ie: speed, and or other issues. Is my plan even viable being as I think the intended use of the splitter was to allow multiple computers to direct connect to a modem without a router but only with one instance. In my plan there will only be one instance and that will be router to whichever modem is powered up.

Any thoughts, recommendations and/or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
First to make things clear I am not attempting to bridge two Internet connections. This is about testing and convenience. I plan to get a 100 Mbpa service from the phone company to see if that resolves a chronic disconnect issue with my 1024 cable service. Two different routers both quite good, and somewhat different with the last one being a fairly standard Linksys and the new one being an Asus Mesh. Same issue on both routers but of course the cable company hears the word router and says the problem is yours not us. Clearly there is something erong on the cable line or the local node but the cable company won't do anything until I threaten to leave but before I do that I want to be absolutely sure that the problem is with the cable.

Since this could be a long test because the disconnects occur any time from 1 week to 1 hour i need to be able to switch services between cable and phone. Yes I could physically make the switch but the router and modem are two flights of stairs away and the router is fully Smart phone remote and I have a WiFi power supply that allows me to turn off any of the outlets. So the plan is to split the output from the router, RJ-45, and connect to both the cable and phone modem and only ever having one service provider powered on at a time. If there is a disconnect I can powe down that provider and power up the other.

As you can tell this is all very simple so what I need from you experts is a recommendation for a splitter and most importantly do you see any limitations ie: speed, and or other issues. Is my plan even viable being as I think the intended use of the splitter was to allow multiple computers to direct connect to a modem without a router but only with one instance. In my plan there will only be one instance and that will be router to whichever modem is powered up.

Any thoughts, recommendations and/or suggestions would be most appreciated.
Since there is no standard definition of an "RJ45 splitter" Can you link to what device you are thinking about ?

kanewolf

Titan
Reactions: sone.ted
Solution