[SOLVED] RM750 (2013 Model) - Never Used

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Hi All

I have been helping build a PC for a friend who is looking to maximise his budget and I knew I had a PSU that had not been used so I originally offered it to him for free. The PSU is a Corsair RM750.

The item is still in its box and has been stored safely but on checking the Serial number it seems that the manufacture date was back in 2014!! I have not had it since 2014 (I cannot remember when I bought it to be honest and thought it was much sooner) but obviously I now think that this is a non-starter and it would be best to look for a new one.

Out of interest though would there be a high level of degradation from an unused PSU?

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
The rm750 is a very solid psu.
I believe it wouldn't have degraded that badly if at all if it was in box.
You should check if it still has a warrenty.

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
The rm750 is a very solid psu.
I believe it wouldn't have degraded that badly if at all if it was in box.
You should check if it still has a warrenty.

Thanks for the reply Siaan312

Unfortunately the 5 year warranty is definitely expired. I think it was mid to late 2015 that I purchased it but was never used due to moving over my 850w PSU over from the previous build.

I was thinking the same about the degradation but have been struggling to find much useful information. I am pretty experienced computer wise but this is out of my normal scope.

I tested it with the paperclip trick and some attached fans and it worked without issue, but obviously that is a minimal load. I guess plugging it into an older system and booting up is my only option for testing it.

Still intrigued if anyone has any previous experience relating to this. More out of curiosity than anything.

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Ok so I have booted up an old X58 system - I7 930 @ 4GHz and ran it on a prime load for an hour without any issues that I could see. I used an old Zotac GTX 580 as it was the most power hungry GPU that I could find.

Are there any other tests that I could do to see the stability of the PSU?

Ok so I have booted up an old X58 system - I7 930 @ 4GHz and ran it on a prime load for an hour without any issues that I could see. I used an old Zotac GTX 580 as it was the most power hungry GPU that I could find.

Are there any other tests that I could do to see the stability of the PSU?
If it runs a system like that it should run just as if it was new.
Wouldn't try to push it to redlining 750 watts, but if it works, it probably works normally.