[SOLVED] rm850x won't turn on when using SATA cable

Feb 22, 2020
I just purchased a seagate 8tb barracuda drive to install alongside my SSD's, but no matter which cable i use the PSU wont power on unless the SATA cable is disconnected from the drive. i've RMA'd the drive once already thinking it was a bad drive but the new drive produces the same problem. The PSU "clicks" and the lights flash on the motherboard and then it immediattly turns off. I'm not really sure where to troubleshoot from here.

Edit: The motherboard in question is an Aorus Master with 2 x 1TB nVME SSD drives in the top and bottom m2 slots. Does that have anything to do with it?

Solution
I just purchased a seagate 8tb barracuda drive to install alongside my SSD's, but no matter which cable i use the PSU wont power on unless the SATA cable is disconnected from the drive. i've RMA'd the drive once already thinking it was a bad drive but the new drive produces the same problem. The PSU "clicks" and the lights flash on the motherboard and then it immediattly turns off. I'm not really sure where to troubleshoot from here.

This is one of two things:

1. You're not using a Corsair SATA power cable. The "click" is short circuit protection because cables from other PSU companies are not pinned the same way.

If you ARE using a Corsair cable, then the problem is #2:

2. The HDD supports PWDIS and sees +3.3V where...

Edit: The motherboard in question is an Aorus Master with 2 x 1TB nVME SSD drives in the top and bottom m2 slots. Does that have anything to do with it?
The Aorus Master comes in versions for Intel and AMD. Please list your system specs.

CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Last edited:

This is one of two things:

1. You're not using a Corsair SATA power cable. The "click" is short circuit protection because cables from other PSU companies are not pinned the same way.

If you ARE using a Corsair cable, then the problem is #2:

2. The HDD supports PWDIS and sees +3.3V where there should be no wire. Solution here is to cut the +3.3V wire, pull that pin out of the connector, etc.

Reactions: boju
Solution