Question RMA GPU without 100% certainty of problem

Jun 16, 2022
I have a Gigabtyte eagle 3090 that is under warranty that I believe died, but I have no other system to test it with so I can’t isolate the problem with 100% certainty.

I was having an issue where when playing a game the display would go black, fans would kick to max, I could hear audio but input was not heard from my mic. I would have to restart and everything seemed okay. The latest time it happened it the display never came back on. I have tried reseating it to no avail.

My only thought as I have been searching is that I was using it in combo with the Gigabyte GP-850 PSU and using the daisy chained pcie 8 pin that came with my gpu (as gigabyte doesn’t sell extra psu cables) as some say this can kill cards.

As far as I can tell otherwise the PC runs fine as it can boot up and display using integrated graphics.

So, am I making the right choice here in just deciding to RMA the GPU? I would hate for it to be a mobo issue and just kill the next RMAd gpu when i put it in the same pcie slot.

Jun 16, 2022
https://www.gigabyte.com/Power-Supply/P850GM/sp#sp

Says your PSU came with (4) PCIe 6+2 pin cables. But it looks like it's 2 EA cables with dual 6+2 pin connectors? I'd recommend using both cables that came with your PSU, not a single one.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aACtT_rzToI
That may be true, I was much less experienced with PCs than I am now so I probably wasn't totally sure what each of the cords that came with the PSU went to, but I know the GPU came with the one daisy chained 8 pin PCIe. In my ignorance I just used the one that came with the GPU thinking it would be enough.

With that being said, I don't know where the PSU box is now so I would have to get a replacement PCIe cable. In the case of Gigabyte's PSUs, it would seem, that would mean getting an entirely new PSU. I've found numerous threads about wanting to get extra cables for the GP-850 but never found a definitive answer.

Jun 16, 2022
when booting from integrated GPU, your RTX is not showing up in device manager? or it shows up with some error code?
you could also try moving your GPU to another PCIE slot on mainboard, to ruleout borked pcie slot

I would bet I could potentially get my hands on another card, but I was (and still am) worried that if it were a faulty mobo or somehow PSU issue it could kill the other card as well. Thoughts on that?

That may be true, I was much less experienced with PCs than I am now so I probably wasn't totally sure what each of the cords that came with the PSU went to, but I know the GPU came with the one daisy chained 8 pin PCIe. In my ignorance I just used the one that came with the GPU thinking it would be enough.
Do you have the splitter connected to the shorter 6+2 pin connector on the cable, or the longer one? If you can't find the other PSU cables, it's probably best to get rid of the GPU splitter and use the two 6+2 plugs on the PSU cable (see next paragraph).

FYI, you're dealing with supplying 360 watts (stock, if you haven't increased power limit %). An 8-pin PCIe connector is "rated" at 150W, slot = 75W. So that's basically 2 FULL 8-pin connectors worth of power. Although Gigabyte supplied daisy-chained 2x8-pin connectors on a single cable, it's entirely possible that it may have a hard time reaching the full 300W off a single cable. When you're pushing the limits of a cable, the shorter the length the better.

Save your modular PSU cables! You may not need them now, but you might in future upgrades. Also, if you have multiple modular PSUs in operation, make sure you label which cables belong to which PSU.

Last edited: