Question RMA Help Ryzen 5 5600x SOLVED

Nov 7, 2020
Long story short my cpu kept making my pc restart and eventually BSOD I RMA my cpu and they ask for 1. a picture of my cpu installed in the system. 2. the original invoice 3. Details of any troubleshooting performed, including results that prove a defective processor. This first 2 are not a big deal and the 3rd one i am a bit confused. Is it required or just whatever I tested? I did basic troubleshooting and eventually did a fresh windows install to rule out any potential software issues. I then began to switch out parts for confirmed good parts and when the cpu was switched out for a 3600 cpu it ran like a dream. So I am not sure if I have the information they require I can detail with recipes and serial numbers what I used but besides that I only have one picture but I dont think it nessessarily means the cpu is at fault even though my conclusions suggest so. The image reads as follows:
A fatal hardware error has occured
Reported by component: Processir core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 0
Ecent ID: 18

Anyone with experience with an RMA have any pointers with this information, Will the information I have suffice. Im just nervous because I am not trying to just throw away $300.

hi, did u run memtest?
all those cpu hardware errors can be caused by ram aswell.
when u switched cpu to 3000series one, it also means its using different memory controller, which affects ram compatibility

another reason would be having poor voltage (psu unit fault)
see if u can try another PSU

incorrect bios settings can make this bug check also appear, see your bios settings, if its running in stock settings (no ram/cpu overclock)

also make sure your chipset drivers are updated from either mainboard manufacturer download page or from amd

Nov 7, 2020
I ran through all that initially its not a question as to what the issue is it is indeed the cpu I am just not sure what they will accept as an answer for requirement 3 because I didnt take many pictures its my first RMA. Th
hi, did u run memtest?
all those cpu hardware errors can be caused by ram aswell.
when u switched cpu to 3000series one, it also means its using different memory controller, which affects ram compatibility

another reason would be having poor voltage (psu unit fault)
see if u can try another PSU

incorrect bios settings can make this bug check also appear, see your bios settings, if its running in stock settings (no ram/cpu overclock)

also make sure your chipset drivers are updated from either mainboard manufacturer download page or from amd

To answer your question all of that was checked out and was fine. Its not about determining what the issue is it is confirmed the cpu I put a 3600 in and it is working fine now. The question is about the RMA what info they want for number 3 I didn't take many pictures and after I ruled out software or cooling It was hardware. Do i just detail my troubleshoot process to them?

... 3. Details of any troubleshooting performed, including results that prove a defective processor. This first 2 are not a big deal and the 3rd one i am a bit confused. Is it required or just whatever I tested? I did basic troubleshooting and eventually did a fresh windows install to rule out any potential software issues. I then began to switch out parts for confirmed good parts and when the cpu was switched out for a 3600 cpu it ran like a dream. So I am not sure if I have the information they require I can detail with recipes and serial numbers what I used but besides that I only have one picture but I dont think it nessessarily means the cpu is at fault even though my conclusions suggest so. The image reads as follows:
A fatal hardware error has occured
Reported by component: Processir core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 0
Ecent ID: 18

Anyone with experience with an RMA have any pointers with this information, Will the information I have suffice. Im just nervous because I am not trying to just throw away $300.

Explaining that you've done a fresh re-install of Windows is very helpful, in addition to re-installing the 3600 processor. One thing you should include is the motherboard and BIOS rev. it's at. Speaking of: have you updated to the latest for your motherboard? And have you done a proper CMOS reset; they'll definitely want to know that. CMOS reset is critical any time you change hardware like a CPU.

You might also try operating on one DIMM and then the other to help rule out defective memory as a possible cause.

Don't be nervous. This isn't a one-chance and you've missed it situation; you'll have plenty of opportunity to satisfy any deficiency of data they may need.

And as a last resort: if after you've done all they ask and they still refuse to issue an RMA then you have every reason to believe you've got a good CPU. I'd sell it and considering the state of things you might even get more than it's $300 purchase price even though you say it's used.

Last edited: