[SOLVED] RMA or CPU Upgrade for my dad's beast of a machine!

Noki0100

Reputable
Feb 28, 2019
Hi All,

looking to give my dad's PC a bit more oomph, I want it to be a little cheap upgrade to tide him over. This is his machine:

CPUIntelG3220 Pentium Dual Core 3.0Ghz
Internal StorageIntelX25-M Mainstream (OS Drive, Mint 19.1)
Internal StorageSeagateBarracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS (Home Drive)
MainboardAsusHB1M-Plus
RAMCorsairXMS3 CMX4GX3M1A1600C11 4GB (1 stick)

Now given he only has a single stick of RAM, I could pair it with another for around £22 and give him 8GB of dual channel, I'm sure Chrome would like that.

Or I can get him a new CPU, something like a Intel Core™ i5-4430S Processor for around £40 (I'm hoping).

Getting both seems a little decadent for a PC like his. I could also get a GPU (anything for £40 on eBay would be an upgrade I think), but he doesn't game too much so would be a bit wasted, perhaps.

For someone who web browses mostly, and plays some basic 3d games (Poker Night 2 mostly) what would people recommend would give me the most bang for buck, or just noticeable improvement in performance?

Thanks in advance.
Noki

Solution
How large is the X25-M? How full is it?
If a ssd gets to 90% full, it starts to slow down and wears out faster.
The X25m was launched a long time ago and small capacity units may be close to their endurance life.

I would not look at a S suffix processor; they are low wattage processors and have lower performance.
You would be getting two more threads, but the processing power of each thread would be comparable.

I suggest adding ram.

The added ram would buy you two things:

1. Chrome uses lots of ram; 4gb is simply not enough these days. I assume you have a 32 bit windows to be able to use more than 4gb of ram.
  2. Dual channel ram greatly helps the performance of integrated graphics.
Be careful to buy a second stick that...
The X25m was launched a long time ago and small capacity units may be close to their endurance life.

I would not look at a S suffix processor; they are low wattage processors and have lower performance.
You would be getting two more threads, but the processing power of each thread would be comparable.

I suggest adding ram.

1. Chrome uses lots of ram; 4gb is simply not enough these days. I assume you have a 32 bit windows to be able to use more than 4gb of ram.
Be careful to buy a second stick that closely matches what you have.
Such an upgrade is not 100% guaranteed to work, but Intel is quite tolerant

Solution

Noki0100

Reputable
Feb 28, 2019
I know it's old but it hasn't seen a tonne of use, plus the OS takes up less than a third so i can extend it's lifespan.

Good advice, thanks for that. I wasn't aware.

Be careful to buy a second stick that closely matches what you have.
Such an upgrade is not 100% guaranteed to work, but Intel is quite tolerant
I actually just found an identical stick for less than £10. If I win that a CPU may also be an option (or a cheap GPU).

Thanks everyone for contributing!