Question RMA this gpu or keep it?

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
I have had a long struggle with my Nitro RX 590. It did not fix the problem that the card before it had, crashing during benchmark tests. I have been perplexed by the fact that it works fine on my upstairs build (win 8.1 on SATA SSD, Asus F2 A85 V Pro, A10-5800k apu, 1050 watt Thermaltake psu, 32 gigs DDR3 1600). And for those new to my saga, the R9-380 Strix handles itself perfectly on the downstairs computer and never crashes ever.

The Nitro does not work fine on my downstairs build (win 10 on M.2 NVMe installed on mobo, Seasonic 850W Gold (and now 1300 watt), asus X470 pro mobo, Ryzen 5 2600X cpu), which is much more serious hardware.

When the Nitro ran so well upstairs on the old build, I thought for sure it was due to the power supply. I ran the numbers on my downstairs build and came up with it being a bit short. So I got a big honkin' 1300 Watt Seasonic. I plugged it in greatly hoping that it would fix my crashing issues. But it didn't. So my girlfriend and I reviewed everything that was different between the two builds. We eliminated the power supply because now they both have big honking power supplies:

Upstairs: Win 8.1, Asus F2 A85 mobo, older more feeble cpu
Downstairs: Win 10, Asus X470 mobo, newer more capable cpu

And I said well it seems to me unlikely the cpu is the problem if I'm going to make a big new move on this problem it will either be to resurrect win 8.1 on the downstairs build, or to RMA the Asus motherboard. Or to live with it. I am very tired of working on this build and do not relish putting in a new mobo or installing a new OS.

She said: You forgot to put on your list that upstairs you run with a computer only a few feet from one screen, whereas downstairs you often run two screens, and one is further away (very big DVI-D cable, about twenty feet long). Very clever. Not for nothing is her degree in computer science. (but she doesn't do the kind of stuff that solves these kinds of problems)

So I said well that's easy to test. I have been using a variety of benchmarks (Superposition, Passmark, Heaven) and though all three of these can crash the system, and at less than maximum settings, Superposition hits the hardest and fastest, as a rule. And when you work on these issues you get tired of running long benchmarks. So we ran a bunch of Unigine Superposition in EXTREME setting and determined:

If you boot up PC with both screens and immediately try to run the two on Unigine, it's nearly 100% certain that you will get a crash immediately upon starting the program.

If you boot up PC with only the screen closest to the PC, which is connected via HDMI, Unigine Superposition doesn't seem to crash the system at all. With reboots, without reboots, with repeated runs at EXTREME setting.

If you boot up only the screen furthest from the PC, connected via DVI-D, the chances of crashing on Unigine are about 50-50. Sometimes you can do a series of Extreme tests and not have a crash, running only the distant screen.

When I boot the PC with the screen closest to it, I am pretty much mimicking the set up on the upstairs computer. It seems stable. One screen, close to the PC. And that is certainly the most reliable and I might even say it never fails, though I don't have the energy for a thousand boots.

When you add in the screen at distance, either by itself, or paired with the close-by screen, the PC is more unstable during benchmarking and crashes either always (two screens starting benchmark immediately after a reboot) or erratically (one screen at distance).

So now the question is:

1. RMA the card, it should be able to handle all these configurations reliably
  2. Live with the situation and consider the dual screen setup to be something of a limiting factor to the build. If you want to push the system hard, gaming or benchmarking, use only one screen right next to the pc). The card should not be expected to run two screens during brutal benchmark tests.
  3. Pursue some other kind of fix
In other words there appears to be some kind of predictability to this issue now, which is a relief, and it appears to have a reliably achievable kick-butt mode, if I want to arrange myself around that goal rather than my preferred living room geometry. I already have received an RMA permission from Newegg so the question is what are reasonable expectations and goals for the product and for me. I don't know whether to use the RMA or leave well enough alone. I have had some epic struggles around drivers and updates and other issues to make this card work, I have failed in ways that I did not know it was possible to fail, and I'm not sure I'd be sorry to see this RX 590 go somewhere else, even if all that happens is I get a new one just like it. The R9-380 is not as fast but it never crashes (yet) and it can handle all these dual screen brutal Superpoistion Extreme tests at any time, in any screen configuration, dual, single, near or far, no ifs ands or buts. Should the Sapphire RX 590 be able to do the same?

(My girlfriend says I should stop running benchmarks.)

Greg N

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
I'm guessing you have already tried removing the drivers with DDU and clean installing the newest drivers?

Oh yeah. About six times. DDU is now my middle name. I had a friend over here, an HVAC electrical engineer (doesn't make him an expert on desktops, but he's smart) and he suggested the long cable might be a weak point.

So I'm going to try a long displayport (to replace DVI-D). It seems that it will support higher resolutions, and since I'm currently at 1080 x 1920 perhaps that will remove a potential bottleneck. I might move the nearby screen to displayport too (it is on HDMI).

It should be noted that the latest round of testing showed there is something about the order of connecting, rather than the power drain itself, which is an issue in these crashes. In other words if I initiate a near-to-PC one screen benchmark with the far screen disconnected, it works. If I connect the far screen mid-benchmark, there is no problem with that. But if I boot up both screens, turn the far screen off using the power button (rather than disconnecting), then run the benchmark on the single near screen, it single near screen will crash. In other words the benchmark doesn't even want the system SENSING that another screen has been present.

It is not to be excluded that the fault lies in the software, according to my software engineer girlfriend.

I decided to RMA the RX 590 due to the erratic nature of its behavior. The new one might not be any better and I might eventually try an NVIDIA. My son will likely appreciate the RX 590. He already is making out like a bandit due to my travails, as I told him he could have the Seasonic 850 after I installed the Seasonic 1300, and the Seasonic 1300 is now installed. I'll let it run a few weeks though before I make the gift as it seems a lot of gear fails right away but if it doesn't it may be good for years.

I watched a Linus tech video today where they were talking rather casually about benchmarks pushing GPUs to crash, and I was wondering whether I was missing the point. I was under the impression that just about any system should be able to make it through even a very tough bench mark, just with terrible scores/results.

thanks
Greg N

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
You didnt mention thermals...
Those can cause issues.

I have not been too concerned about thermals, perhaps erroneously, because:

1. CPUID shows reasonable temps during these tests (and the temps are close to what is reported by the benchmarks). The GPU hits 70 to 74 C.

The CPU hits 60 something and the rest of the system runs much cooler. The next hottest item is the NVMe with the OS on it, it runs in the 50s.

2. As often as not when I run these tests I have a completely open case. But I've done it both ways. The system appears adequately ventilated (Noctua cpu, three case fans, plus the fans on psu and gpu).

3. The crash has often occurred immediately after a boot where the pc was cold and temps were just reaching the 30s.

If it is a thermal issue about the only option is a more modern case. I'm using a Coolermaster from about 5 years ago.

thanks,
GregN

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
The BIOS I'm running is 5007 I was terrified of the install but did it anyhow and I didn't brick the system. I installed it because of recommendations that people having issues like me should put in the latest BIOS. It probably does support Gen 3 since I just did it last week. I don't know if it is 3rd GEN or not. I don't remember the previous BIOS number, I think it dated from January 2019, but the reason I downloaded 5007 was because I was already have problems with the installed BIOS that came with the mobo.

I have ordered a display port connection for the "far" monitor. It's only 1.2 but it's what I found.

I am debating whether it would be helpful to move the other monitor to displayport too. It is on HDMI.

It's certainly relatively cheap to try the new cables. If the RMA RX 590 does not pan out (will take about ten days or so for that to happen) I may try an NVIDIA card. But I'll give it some time. The unexpected difficulties of this build have tapped me out.

thanks for your comments,

Greg N

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
I wouldnt rma it untill you get the new cables.

The card works fine, its an issue with something else.

I am less certain than you. Because, if it is a cable issue, it has precisely zero impact on the Strix R9-380 which is not as fast as the RX 590, but in terms of reliability, outperforms it in every way.

That said, I confess: I feel very much stumbling about in the dark on these matters. It consumes a great deal of time. I feel certain about nothing. On the other hand I've tossed a great deal of business to Newegg including most recently a 1300 watt Seasonic and the aforementioned displayport cable, and all the other hardware in the build, so I don't feel I'm abusing the relationship.

thanks,
Greg N

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
This is a problem stumping me aswell. Maybe its a dead port on the video card?

You mean a dead power input or a dead one of those two hundred or so prongs that get inserted into the PCIe slot? Either way I couldn't say because it worked upstairs and did not work downstairs. When I say worked upstairs I mean I could run Unigine superposition at extreme levels and everything was OK.

Actually if you run a search on "RX 580 crashes" or "RX 580 defective" you'll get many many hits. Same thing for 590, but not as many of those have been sold.

I wouldn't rule out it's a win 10 thing.

Greg N

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
I ment like a defective HDMI output.

Well I've got a displayport cable on the way to replace the DVI-D so that will, in effect, change the ports. And I can try switching the hdmi cable from one port to another on the other screen. But the truth is with more than one hdmi it probably has happened already as I have swapped a lot of cards in and out and I just use whatever port.

I have two DVI-D ports and I did swap those but it made no difference. But I'm looking forward to checking out displayport.

Greg N

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Since you've been following this so closely here's a video of the crash. Note that you know the system is crashed instantly because the Unigine logo comes up in a color rather than black and white. There's no time for anything to heat up. The video is only 30 seconds, you see a complete green screen wash, but then the bench mark starts to run, and you see that it runs all in green.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1ev0oh7dGQ

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Test with Debian buster live to check hardware failures. The dmesg command shows the kernel log.
https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-c...rid/debian-live-10.0.0-amd64-xfce.iso.torrent

Thank you for posting the link I will check it out after I've read up and watched a video on what exactly it does.

My displayport arrived today and I got it all hooked up and retired the DVI-D, managed to simplify a few other things going on with the desktop in the process.

I did run a bunch of benchmark tests and the R9-380 passed them all, including Unigine Superposition at "high" and then "extreme" settings. At both settings Unigine warns you away from doing the test, saying it will crash, but I went ahead anyway (I've seen so many crashes) and the R9-380 and the new build did it all, with two monitors going, no problems, no crash.

I'd like to get the RX 590 to do that....

Interestingly the warning from Unigine was new, I have not seen it these past two weeks of testing. I don't know if they updated Unigine or whether sticking in displayport this afternoon changed the way unigine interacted with my PC. It'll be a least a week before the new RX 590 is here. Meantime no harm in using Debian to test the hardware that is here.

thanks,
Greg N

You said it's less reliable when using the long distance monitor. So the cable is longer.

There is a USB like comm line built into DP/HDMI/DVI which allows for two way communication for things like monitor capabilities. The DVI of which I believe is the most length limited. If the data coming back from the monitor is corrupted, (ie: Adaptive Sync info) could it cause it to crash? The communication "eye" on DVI is a little bit more "lax" with regards to timing. So long distances make this worse.

A cable swap with a quality DP/HDMI cable might be a good test.

Reactions: gn842a

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
A cable swap with a quality DP/HDMI cable might be a good test.

Well we won't be able to do the test with an RX 590 for another week or so. It will arrive in CA probably Friday or Saturday and then the RMA has to be processed and replacement shipped. But the displayport is now in, the DVI-D is out, and I have no intentions of putting the DVI-D back in. Aside from getting some warnings from Unigine that I didn't ever get with the old cable, there are some modest improvements. I had a long USB 2.0 with booster that I ran for the mouse which was pretty unsatisfactory. I put that long cable in "back in the day" because the usb connection to the pc through the monitor was poor. The long USB line worked, but it could be annoying. Now the connection through the monitor (which connects through DP) is much snappier. No mouse lag so far. Wish I'd figured this out five years ago.

These are fairly minor things on which to base an assessment, but they are, as engineers like to say (some of the ones I know anyhow) "directionally correct."

Jeeze wouldn't it be nice if all the dozens of discussions I've read about the 580/590 series would simply be resolved with a DP connection. But we're getting ahead of ourselves.

--Greg N

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
What did this warning say?

The warning says:

"VRAM LIMIT IS REACHED
Selected settings are too high. The benchmark can crash or you may notice low performance and visual artifacts. We highly recommend to lower the settings or select other preset."

Then Unigine gives you the option of CANCEL or RUN ANYWAY. You can tell it's a Unigine warning because the graphics and font are identical to the pop up to set up the test.

The R9-380 has 2 gigs DDR5 VRAM.

Now I already ran it at "high" and "extreme" levels anyway these past few weeks, with both R9-380 and RX 590 Nitro. So I went ahead and ran the bench mark with the R9-380 never mind the warning. I didn't notice artifacts and neither the test nor the PC crashed. To be sure not the best scores but what would one expect with an older card on a newer bench mark.

For whatever reason Unigine wasn't "noticing" or "talking about" the VRAM limit till I hooked up displayport. This has certainly piqued my curiosity.

Greg N

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Well, that vram message makes sense.

2gb is a lot less than superposition needs for higher settings. My 1050 2gb has the same issue.

Well I've been hoping to pick things up a little bit with the 8 gig card. Maybe the next one will work better.

I did go to Unigine web site and their system requirements just said "video card not more than 5 years old." Well that's pretty vague.

Anyhow what's interesting here is not so much that 2 gb is not enough as that for whatever reason the bench mark is letting me know, which only a day or two ago it didn't do.

Many and mysterious are the ways of PCs.

Greg N

TRENDING THREADS