RMA Troubles with Deepcool

Dec 10, 2018
So...TL;DR:

PC ran fine for almost a year
One day, 30-40 fps in Rocket League for some reason
DeepCool Captain 240 EX RGB leaked
MSI GTX 1080 ARMOR 8G OC semi-dead, 445pts in 1080p Furmark benchmark
RMA request directly to DeepCool, they will ship an AIO replacement and agreed for 650CAD to compensate for GPU
Shipped the GPU to their US RMA Departement
650CAD rejected by RMA department, now 70% of invoice: 336USD (USD because I got it from Massdrop (480 USD excluding shipping and import customs)
Why? Depreciation according to Deepcool
Hassled to try and get more
Gets this:
Dear [me],
Thank you for your understanding.
1.Actually, manufacturers carry out depreciation of invoice according to one in a thousand per day. If our RMA department follow up this standard , the amount should be $296 , not $336 right now, i tried my best to strive for more , sincerely i hope you could understand , after all, we have to look for a solution ending all things.
2.You know all warranty rules are general version, no manufacturers will showed all details , i believe the most important thing is making agreement. Btw, we are willing to negotiate about compensation schemes.In any further question , write us, thank you.Please follow up our warranty rules.
Your kindly trust on DEEPCOOL is highly appreciated!

I took the liberty to log the back and forths with Deepcool in a PDF, feel free to read it. A few modifications were made for the privacy of both parties (just left the name of Deepcool staff). Deepcool RMA Archive.pdf
But what the actual [advertiser friendly content] should I do now? Keep hassling? Just take the money? Or maybe even contact MSI so that they can talk to Deepcool? Is it true that "manufacturers carry out depreciation of invoice according to one in a thousand per day"?!

I'm in a serious pickle here...

P.S.: About warranty laws, I did a little research for residents of Quebec:
How to assert your rights If the product you bought is defective or cannot serve its purpose, you must inform the merchant (and manufacturer, if applicable) of the problem. They will need to:
- repair the piece of furniture or have it repaired without charge;
- exchange it;
- refund your money.
You may also have suffered damages from using a defective product. If that is the case, the merchant may also have to compensate you.
Source : https://m.opc.gouv.qc.ca/en/consumer/topic/purchase/phone-mail/warranty/legal-warranties/

It doesn't mention if it must be a full compensation however. So they possibly have a point, but it's still pretty brutal. Their Captain series of AIOs have become notorious for leaking (after some Google search about Captain AIO leaks), so it's a common problem. I've also heard that Deepcool usually give nice customer service.
Newegg Customer Service said that the legal manufacturer warranty on that AIO is 1 year and the Deepcool website says that their warranties vary from 1-10 years (although the website doesn't specify the amount for each model). And, just for fun, MSI Canada's warranty for GPUs is 3 years, but I doubt they would help me for damage caused by another component in the system.

I dont know the inner workings of canadian laws, but its generally rare for a manufacturer to replace components from an AIO leak.
I would take the money, get the new AIO, then sell it. I used an AIO for years and ditched it recently, age and water cooling dont work well together.

From your quote, compensate is not the same as fully replace, so I guess they are in the clear.

Dec 10, 2018

I guess I'll have to take it then. Don't know if I'll be able to sell the cooler since the leaks are pretty frequent from what I saw from reviews and other posts.

What's funny is that I also heard people having great customer service from Deepcool, like this guy. So I don't know if they recently shifted their warranty, but it still feels a little heartbreaking. I guess I'll wait for Boxing Day to find a good deal or search second hand.

Well, if you look at the date it was over a year ago, if the leaks are a recent phenomenon then it would explain their reluctance to offer full payment.
Back then? Sure throw some money at people to keep their name intact without much loss.
Now? If more and more coolers are leaking thats much more money to pay out. Also if more people start to have issues, and get money, fraud could become an issue in the long run.

Dec 10, 2018
There are still 2018 reviews mentioning about leaks, so I assume that it's still an ongoing issue. IMO, a recall should be done on this lineup of coolers, but I guess I'll email support back and accept the offer.

mtracy1991

Reputable
Glad you posted this experience, I was really leaning on DEEPCOOL for AIO cooling due to their warranty. Since this is the case, I may look at another brand, or invest in more fans.

Dec 10, 2018

They've at least gave 70% of the GPU invoice instead of 0%.
I also managed to upgrade my CAPTAIN 240 EX RGB to the Captain 240 PRO that "NEVER LEAKS" when negotiating with the representative. So we'll see after a year or so :pt1cable:

Still, I would have preferred getting a refund on the cooler than a replacement.