RMA'D GTX 780 - Still have coil whine

Priva

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Computer Specifications:
PSU: HEC 850W Power Supply - 80+ Silver - HEC-850TS - Yeah, this one definitely needs replacing.
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600k (OC 4.3GHz)
Cooler: Corsair H80i Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V LE
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780 (EVGA SC ACX)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport MEO 4GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 X4 = 16GB
Hard Drive: Hitachi HDO 2TB 3.5 SATA 6G 7200 (Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2TB Hard Drive)
SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 500GB

Hi, I've posted about my coil whine issue I had on my original GTX 780 but I simply dealt with it because turning adaptive v-sync on in Nvidia Control Panel fixed it. Recently, I had my GTX 780 returned because I got faulty HDMI cables that broke the pins on the HDMI port. When I sent the card to EVGA, they sent me back the same card, but this time I got a superclocked one with the ACX cooler instead of the reference model (which I Initially had). I told them that I also had coil whine on the previous card but it was only when I was getting more than 60FPS in a game. The card that I got sent back has a lot more coil whine than my first card. Sometimes even being in the BIOS settings can cause coil whine or restarting my computer causes it. The sound gets especially bad when rating your system with Windows Experience Index. This has got to be power supply related now, right? Because on both cards I got coil whine. Only now, it's worse than ever. I have a really cheap power supply. It only has 22 amps on the +12V rail so I'm using 2 PCI-E x16 power connectors. Could this be my problem? I was looking online for those newer power supplies with 70A on the +12V rail. Would this fix my issue?

Edit: Seems nobody can answer. I got a new PSU already on the way (the one I have now is terrible anyways), and I'll update this thread if it fixes my coil whine issue or not, just incase somebody else has the same issue as me.

12/23/14:
Edit: After 2 hours of installing the EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold Certified power supply the coil whine is gone.

Priva

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

I asked EVGA about an RMA already. They said some coil whine is normal and claimed to have tested it for coil whine on their testing machine and didn't have anything out of the usual.

12/23/14:
Edit: After 2 hours of installing the EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold Certified power supply the coil whine is gone.

TRENDING THREADS