RMA'd HDD & Motherboard with 8.1 OEM installed... Options?

jimaxwell

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
I decided to try and DYI a simple gaming machine and ordered all my parts off of New Egg> However, I had two bad MBs and ended up RMAing the whole rig. The first MB was DOA, so I never got to install the OS. The second MB had a CMOS problem that couldn't be fixed (I even took it to a local pro for help -- no go). But, I did get the OS installed and therefore locked to the (bad) MB. I understand that you can contact MS and have a one time reinstall for a new motherboard (since the OS is now "tied" to the MB). So if I tried to DYI again I could reuse the key.

The whole experience soured me on DYI and with Black Friday coming up I'm thinking of buying a pre-built but don't want to lose the $90 on the OS. (yes, I know the DYI parts will be cheaper too -- but my experience, or lack thereof, will remain the same)

I don't think I can ebay my key as it's registered to me. (I hope I'm not breaking a rule with this question). Do I have any options? If I buy a pre-built with 8.1 already installed, am I just out the $90? Can I sell or transfer the cleaned up key?

thanks for any suggestions. And yes, I only want legal suggestions, I'm not out to screw anyone, including MS. I just don't want to lose $90.

Solution
So it wasn't entirely bad luck. Biostar is a value brand. Ironically, when I first starting building computers (ah the good ol' days) I started with a Biostar motherboard too. When installing, one side of the IDE port fell off and the motherboard was missing jumpers. At the time, I wished I would have spend a few more dollars and gotten a quality board. I would say that you have even more bad luck than I had though, 2 is just abusive.

I would recommend that you buy quality components instead of trying to save a few dollars. Manufactures like ASRock, Gigabyte, or MSI for motherboards.
Are you sure you really had two bad motherboards? You could have fried them from not taking precautions or just not have know the issue. The probability of having two in a row is less than winning the lottery. It's a common theme from novices.

Onto your questions. Since the key is already registered in your name, you cannot sell it. According to microsofts OEM policy, you must transfer the whole system along with windows. In otherwords, you'd have to install in onto a system first and then sell it, should Microsoft allow you to install it on another motherboard in the first place.

jimaxwell

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Thanks Thor, Guess I should have played the lottery then. First MB had a capacitor fall off in transit. Second had a CMOS issue that couldn't be corrected with resets, flashes or new battery.

Figured that was going to be the answer on reselling the key, but I figured this would be a good place for a novice like me to get help from a vet like yourself. Thanks!

So it wasn't entirely bad luck. Biostar is a value brand. Ironically, when I first starting building computers (ah the good ol' days) I started with a Biostar motherboard too. When installing, one side of the IDE port fell off and the motherboard was missing jumpers. At the time, I wished I would have spend a few more dollars and gotten a quality board. I would say that you have even more bad luck than I had though, 2 is just abusive.

I would recommend that you buy quality components instead of trying to save a few dollars. Manufactures like ASRock, Gigabyte, or MSI for motherboards.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS