[SOLVED] RMAed GPU error 43

Oct 24, 2021
a few months ago I RMAed a 1080 and after several months MSI sent me a 2080 Super. I have played some games on it for less than a month and out of nowhere the graphics card crashes, giving a visual effect of lines running across my screen. I look I device manager and I see “Error 43”. I look into everything, notice my drivers are pretty old. This is the main concern for most threads and videos. I do everything from self installing/uninstalling drivers to recently restarting my PC fresh and using DDU to remove anything. Maybe I am just doing everything out of order or this RMA replacement GPU is just as bad hardware wise as the card I was replacing. Of course this happens on a Friday night so I am sitting around all weekend with no support from MSI trying to figure it out before I call them on Monday. Unfortunately the probability of waiting another 3 months or to be told they can’t help because my warranty ended while waiting for a replacement is increasing. If anyone has some helpful ideas I would appreciate it.
Specs:
MB - MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus Less 1yr old
PSU - Corsair RM650 Less 1yr old
RAM - 32g two are 2-3 yr old two are Less 1yr old
CPU - i7-9600k 3.6 Less 1yr old
GPU - GTX 2080 Super RMA replacement

Solution
Screen tearing is half of one frame and half of another frame on screen at the same time. Not your problem.
That corruption patterning is usually ram related. But it could be video ram or system ram.
Try with one ram kit. Mixing kits is always iffy. If it is still there try the other kit.
That will either rule out system memory or confirm it is system memory. And should only take a few minutes.
a few months ago I RMAed a 1080 and after several months MSI sent me a 2080 Super. I have played some games on it for less than a month and out of nowhere the graphics card crashes, giving a visual effect of lines running across my screen. I look I device manager and I see “Error 43”. I look into everything, notice my drivers are pretty old. This is the main concern for most threads and videos. I do everything from self installing/uninstalling drivers to recently restarting my PC fresh and using DDU to remove anything. Maybe I am just doing everything out of order or this RMA replacement GPU is just as bad hardware wise as the card I was replacing. Of course this happens on a Friday night so I am sitting around all weekend with no support from MSI trying to figure it out before I call them on Monday. Unfortunately the probability of waiting another 3 months or to be told they can’t help because my warranty ended while waiting for a replacement is increasing. If anyone has some helpful ideas I would appreciate it.
Specs:
MB - MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus Less 1yr old
PSU - Corsair RM650 Less 1yr old
RAM - 32g two are 2-3 yr old two are Less 1yr old
CPU - i7-9600k 3.6 Less 1yr old
GPU - GTX 2080 Super RMA replacement
Hold shift with the windows task bar open continue hold shift till pc shuts off. Click power option click restart. Once boots again select boot in safe mode use ddu. Then restart pc after pc restarts use GeForce to install latest drivers

Hello,

The above Error code 43 can be reported anytime when Windows does not recognize a device – whether it's a USB port, Hard drive, video card/GPU, or any other piece of hardware connected to the computer.
Most of the time, error code 43 means that a device driver is either missing, corrupt, and/or outdated (so Windows has problems communicating properly with the hardware), or the hardware is faulty and needs to be replaced.

This error code points out that the Hardware might also be defective, which is the GPU. But before we jump to any conclusion, check the card on some other PC as well.

Can you properly boot your current system/OS, by using the 'Integrated Graphics processor' of your current motherboard ? Do you still get the same problem ? And, what about SAFE mode ?

Your GPU might also be faulty, but before we jump on any conclusion, can you text the Video card on some other PC ? Also, are you on a "fresh" Windows OS install ? If not, then try doing a clean format of your SSD/HDD, if need be. Clear and reset all the CMOS/BIOS settings to default.

Error code 43 is a generic message that typically indicates a problem with the hardware or software in Windows operating system. This error is often reported in Windows Device Manager. If you encounter this error with your graphics card, here are some troubleshooting ideas that may help fix it (some of the steps might not be necessary in your case though.

1) Update your graphics card driver. Do a CLEAN re-install by using the DDU tool. https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

2) Make sure your system is updated with the latest BIOS and Windows updates

3) Check to make sure your system power supply meets the minimum recommended power requirement for your card

4) If your card needs additional power, make sure the PCIe supplemental power connector is plugged into the card

5) Replace the graphics card as it may be defective

Code 43 can mostly happens either if drivers fail or the hardware fails. Other option is that your GPU or motherboard slot failed. If your motherboard has more then one PCIe x16 slot, you can move GPU to another slot to rule out motherboard failure. Or you should test GPU in another machine to confirm that problem lies in the card.

visual effect of lines running across my screen.

Can you post a screenshot of this issue ? Sounds like a VRAM corruption issue, though I'm just guessing right now.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021
Hello,

The above Error code 43 can be reported anytime when Windows does not recognize a device – whether it's a USB port, Hard drive, video card/GPU, or any other piece of hardware connected to the computer.
Most of the time, error code 43 means that a device driver is either missing, corrupt, and/or outdated (so Windows has problems communicating properly with the hardware), or the hardware is faulty and needs to be replaced.

This error code points out that the Hardware might also be defective, which is the GPU. But before we jump to any conclusion, check the card on some other PC as well.

Can you properly boot your current system/OS, by using the 'Integrated Graphics processor' of your current motherboard ? Do you still get the same problem ? And, what about SAFE mode ?

Your GPU might also be faulty, but before we jump on any conclusion, can you text the Video card on some other PC ? Also, are you on a "fresh" Windows OS install ? If not, then try doing a clean format of your SSD/HDD, if need be. Clear and reset all the CMOS/BIOS settings to default.

Error code 43 is a generic message that typically indicates a problem with the hardware or software in Windows operating system. This error is often reported in Windows Device Manager. If you encounter this error with your graphics card, here are some troubleshooting ideas that may help fix it (some of the steps might not be necessary in your case though.

1) Update your graphics card driver. Do a CLEAN re-install by using the DDU tool. https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

3) Check to make sure your system power supply meets the minimum recommended power requirement for your card

4) If your card needs additional power, make sure the PCIe supplemental power connector is plugged into the card

Code 43 can mostly happens either if drivers fail or the hardware fails. Other option is that your GPU or motherboard slot failed. If your motherboard has more then one PCIe x16 slot, you can move GPU to another slot to rule out motherboard failure. Or you should test GPU in another machine to confirm that problem lies in the card.

Can you post a screenshot of this issue ? Sounds like a VRAM corruption issue, though I'm just guessing right now.
Hello,

Considering all my equipment is new and the GPU is a RMA replacement that was more than likely sent to MSI broken and they “fixed” it. It’s probably hardware but I will follow through your steps and list the results below.
I should say that I am getting screen tearing which I have not seen on any error 43 reports. Another reason I believe it’s the GPU hardware. Also when I could “fix” the error 43 and okay a game for 10 minutes I would get a hardware crash and blue screened. Leading back to the visual tearing.
Yes I can properly use my on board and I have no issues using that in safe mode.
I have both done a clean install of windows and CMOS reset.

I have done a clean install via the DDU method in safe mode.

My BIOS has been and is updated to current.

My PSU is 650w brand new, and I have been it using it for a month with this setup.It meets power requirements of my PC to my knowledge.

I am not too familiar with the “supplemental power connector” but everything that can be plugged into the GPU is plugged in.

I have a few spare parts like an old MB, CPU, PSU ram. What would be the best way to test the card using these?
Hello,

Considering all my equipment is new and the GPU is a RMA replacement that was more than likely sent to MSI broken and they “fixed” it. It’s probably hardware but I will follow through your steps and list the results below.

I should say that I am getting screen tearing which I have not seen on any error 43 reports. Another reason I believe it’s the GPU hardware. Also when I could “fix” the error 43 and okay a game for 10 minutes I would get a hardware crash and blue screened. Leading back to the visual tearing.

Yes I can properly use my on board and I have no issues using that in safe mode.

I have both done a clean install of windows and CMOS reset.

I have done a clean install via the DDU method in safe mode.

My BIOS has been and is updated to current.

My PSU is 650w brand new, and I have been it using it for a month with this setup.It meets power requirements of my PC to my knowledge.

I am not too familiar with the “supplemental power connector” but everything that can be plugged into the GPU is plugged in.

I have a few spare parts like an old MB, CPU, PSU ram. What would be the best way to test the card using these?

https://ibb.co/KjP3L6r
I think I said screen tearing but whatever this is, I don’t know what to call it.

Hi, just a quick reply. Looking through 2 of your screenshots, it seems like the GPU is faulty. Like I have guessed before, most probably a VRAM issue. But to totally rule this out, you need to check the card on a completely different PC, if possible.

Or better yet, test some other GPU on this same system of yours, if you have a spare one. Just to rule out there is no Monitor issue as well, but since you can properly boot in safe mode, and via onboard graphics, the fault most probably lies with the GPU sent by MSI.

46-F2-D825-5882-4129-B510-BBB0-D28-E697-A — ImgBB

665-D1241-2329-454-D-BC87-51-CB3-D735-C37 — ImgBB

Screen tearing is half of one frame and half of another frame on screen at the same time. Not your problem.
That corruption patterning is usually ram related. But it could be video ram or system ram.
Try with one ram kit. Mixing kits is always iffy. If it is still there try the other kit.
That will either rule out system memory or confirm it is system memory. And should only take a few minutes.

Solution