Roaming numbers, specifically, Topeka, KS, USA

I've searched google and checked a few cellular web sites for a
roaming number in Topeka, Kansas, but am not having any luck. The one
I've found, 913-221-ROAM (or trying 785, the correct area code)
doesn't work. Topeka used to have such a number, but Verizon, my
carrier, can't seem to find it.

Does anybody have any other lists that would provide this?

Also... is there any reason ** not ** to use a roaming number? I'm
interested in using it from my landline to make a call to another
Verizon customer in Kansas City, which is long distance.

Thanks,

Steve

*-*- please reply to the group -- e-mail address is bogus *-*-

jeff

I had asked Verizon before about roaming numbers and they responded that all
of the ones in my area (Michigan) were deactivated. I don't know why they
would do this, but they say they did.

-Jeff

"Steve Huff" <stevehuff@usa.net> wrote in message
> I've searched google and checked a few cellular web sites for a
> roaming number in Topeka, Kansas, but am not having any luck. The one
> I've found, 913-221-ROAM (or trying 785, the correct area code)
> doesn't work. Topeka used to have such a number, but Verizon, my
> carrier, can't seem to find it.
>
> Does anybody have any other lists that would provide this?
>
> Also... is there any reason ** not ** to use a roaming number? I'm
> interested in using it from my landline to make a call to another
> Verizon customer in Kansas City, which is long distance.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve
>
> *-*- please reply to the group -- e-mail address is bogus *-*-

I know the ones in Kansas City are still active... check out
http://www.geckobeach.com/cellular/roaming/default.asp for a great
list of local roaming numbers and give 'em a try. When I first asked
Verizon for a roaming number, the rep had no idea what I wanted. Not
surprised with all the free LD included in plans these days, there
really isn't much demand for roaming numbers.

In article <a04bf352.0404081418.49f2a1db@posting.google.com>,
Steve Huff <stevehuff@usa.net> wrote:
>I know the ones in Kansas City are still active... check out
>http://www.geckobeach.com/cellular/roaming/default.asp for a great
>list of local roaming numbers and give 'em a try. When I first asked
>Verizon for a roaming number, the rep had no idea what I wanted. Not
>surprised with all the free LD included in plans these days, there
>really isn't much demand for roaming numbers.

But the main use for roamer access numbers is for landlines to call a cell
phone which is currently roaming in a location local to the landline,
where the number of the cellphone would be a long distance call for
the landline.

Why would they be obsolete?? (Unless nobody uses landlines for long
distance any more.)

jeff

"CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message

> But the main use for roamer access numbers is for landlines to call a cell
> phone which is currently roaming in a location local to the landline,
> where the number of the cellphone would be a long distance call for
> the landline.
>
> Why would they be obsolete?? (Unless nobody uses landlines for long
> distance any more.)

I think the problem that Verizon noted with them was that roaming numbers do
not support all of the service features. For example, if you dial a local
roaming access number to reach someone's cell phone, it will only reach the
cell phone. It will not get forwarded back to the person's home state to
reach their voice mail, etc.

Also, I'm not sure on this but I think it might cause some delay in billing
for minutes used. I'll have to play around with this and check my theory.
But, right now I'm roaming in the Thumb Cellular system in Michigan 10. (SID
1350 I think.) I know that you can dial 989-550-ROAM and get a 2nd dial tone
to reach my cell phone. But, doing so would not pass the call through the
Verizon network at all. Where as, if I dial my real number directly then
Verzion would be delivering the call to the roaming carrier, so it would
know the call existed right away. I would expect that using the roaming
numbers would cause a delay because I might have to wait for the roaming
carrier to bill Verizon for the calls, which could kick my minutes over to
the next billing cycle if it's close to the end of the month.

I'll play around with this and see how long it takes minutes to show up on
#MIN if I use the roaming numbers.

-Jeff