Rob Pardo Leaving Blizzard After 17 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.
The simplicity, balance, replayability, and longevity of Starcraft and Starcraft: Brood War was done very well. Hardly any RTS has stood the test of time like SC. If he contributed greatly to that, then kudos to him.

The money from WoW will probably be seen as the biggest item on his resume, though.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Not sure WoW represents a feather in anyone's cap - the kill, loot, rinse, repeat aspect of the gameplay is far from revolutionary and for many quite tedious and boring. Having once been on the WoWcrack for years I am pleased to say I have been WoWcrack free for over 3 years.

everlast66

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I still consider Warcraft II, Starcraft I and Diablo I and II best in their categories.
WoW was also a lot of fun during its Beta stage and the first 3 months after release, but got too time consuming and boring after that.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Not sure WoW represents a feather in anyone's cap - the kill, loot, rinse, repeat aspect of the gameplay is far from revolutionary and for many quite tedious and boring. Having once been on the WoWcrack for years I am pleased to say I have been WoWcrack free for over 3 years.
Your experience with WoW, doesn't change facts. It's still the most successful MMORPG ever created. It's also the "benchmark" for MMORPGs. Look at Rift, SWTOR....both claimed to be "WoW killers" and never even got 50% of the subscriptions. It's hard not to call that an achievement.

The "kill, loot, rinse, repeat aspect" is common in gaming. It's been a part of gaming for decades now. Nearly every game does it in one form or another.

Not sure I'd call Blizzard a "sinking ship" as everlast66 does.... They're currently in the process of trying to turn WoW into an MMO-RTS-RPG, which if successfully executed might be a first in PC gaming. Might even breath new life into a dieing title....

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

I agree with your comments - it is successful, but that doesn't make it good. People loved NSync and Backstreet Boys - they going into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? To me success does not equal greatness.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
You seem to be confusing your opinion for fact. What you consider to be a "good" game and what others consider a "good" game, varies. Obviously enough people thought the game was "good" enough for there to be 12 million active subscriptions at it's peak. At the present, WoW still has more active subscriptions than Rift or SWTOR ever managed....combined. Most of the F2P MMO's haven't seen the number of subscriptions that WoW has. When you can completely dominate a market like WoW has for almost a decade.....that's success. Every game Rob Pardo was involved in, barring D3, has been a major success. By all rights, WoW should have died off by now. The fact that it's still going as strong as it is, is a testament to the quality of the game, as perceived by it's target audience. If you don't think the game is "good"....then you're not it's target audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS