[SOLVED] Roblox Studio

Nov 29, 2019
I need a graphics card so my son can play Roblox Studio. Google says to get AMD Radeon R7 240 2gb but the reviews say that card is basically junk. I am on a budget and dont really want to spend a lot of money on a card, is this particular one worth the money, despite what reviewers say, or should I go with something else and if so, what do I go with instead?

Solution
That PC only comes stock with a 250w power supply. That seriously limits your options. The PC is also rather dated, so its performance overall is going to be quite limited.

Are you comfortable swapping out the power supply as well? If not, this GPU will work:

https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce...i-4g/p/N82E16814126170R?Item=N82E16814126170R

It only draws 75w and does not require an external connection. Normally, a 300w PSU is the minimum recommended for it. However, the OEM PSU is built like a tank and the system can't be overclocked, so it should be okay.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What is your budget and what are the specifications (list of make/model of components in system or model of system if something like a Dell or HP) for the system you plan to install the GPU into?

With that info, we can offer better options.

By the way, the aforementioned Radeon R7 240 is very much on the low end of performance and should only be used for basic web browsing and such. It is not a good gaming GPU at all.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019
What is your budget and what are the specifications (list of make/model of components in system or model of system if something like a Dell or HP) for the system you plan to install the GPU into?

With that info, we can offer better options.

By the way, the aforementioned Radeon R7 240 is very much on the low end of performance and should only be used for basic web browsing and such. It is not a good gaming GPU at all.
It's a HP Pavillion

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What specific HP Pavillion? What is your budget?

Knowing the exact model will tell us what will fit in the case and what components are used in it. Your budget is important, as well. If we recommend something you can't afford, then it will not help you.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
That PC only comes stock with a 250w power supply. That seriously limits your options. The PC is also rather dated, so its performance overall is going to be quite limited.

Are you comfortable swapping out the power supply as well? If not, this GPU will work:

https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce...i-4g/p/N82E16814126170R?Item=N82E16814126170R

It only draws 75w and does not require an external connection. Normally, a 300w PSU is the minimum recommended for it. However, the OEM PSU is built like a tank and the system can't be overclocked, so it should be okay.

Solution
I mean, it's a 12-year-old computer that came with Windows Vista. It could support a 1050 in prime condition, but if it is a PC that has been heavily used much of that 12 years, the power supply may be too worn out for that (or any other) card.

If you don't mind the idea of possibly upgrading the power supply, a used GTX 950 can be had for cheap and should run that game better (although the CPU would really be holding you back):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GeFor...195812&hash=item444cfd6da7:g:W~AAAOSwPCFd1Bne