News Rocket Lake Engineering Samples Benchmarked Against Zen 3

frogr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
I suggest that you look over the original article on chiphell.
https://www.chiphell.com/thread-2290061-1-1.html
With PBO overclocking, the 5800x maintains its 10% lead over the 11900K ES overclocked at 4.3 GHz.

It also shows power consumption and temperature data. The author speculates: "... you are likely to be See the power consumption of the CPU above 300W, and then ascend to the sky with the fireworks from your motherboard. "

JfromNucleon

Prominent
Oct 5, 2020
We know the power consumption of the 9900k which is on the same process tech and same core count. Rocket Lake will only be worse due to it being a larger chip and possibly higher clocked.
I'm pretty new to this, so correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the new uarch help in terms of power consumption and heat?

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
We know the power consumption of the 9900k which is on the same process tech and same core count. Rocket Lake will only be worse due to it being a larger chip and possibly higher clocked.
Why are you picking the 9900k as your reference? The 10700k is measurably more efficient than the 9900k. With comparable clocks, I would expect the 11900k to draw more than the 10700k, but probably just bring it in line with the 9900k, while offering much better performance.

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
Rocket Lake engineering samples have been benchmarked against the AMD Ryzen 7 5700X and previous-gen Intel Core i7-10700 and i9-9900K.

Rocket Lake Engineering Samples Benchmarked Against Zen 3 : Read more

This is great news because it will heat up competition in the most relevant segment, which is the midfield of 6-8 core CPUs.

I expect significant price drops from AMD if Intel's corresponding Rocket Lake CPUs don't really win in relevant benchmarks against their AMD- counterparts. In this case, Intel would have to go the route of the underdog: generate sales by improving on the performance per Dollar metric, or in other words: significant price reductions.

This would certainly stimulate AMD to reduce their prices as well, so spring 2021 will be a great time to jump on the Zen 3 bandwagon!

Reactions: JfromNucleon

jasonf2

Distinguished
I hope Intel catches up to AMD as this is the only way to lower prices.
I follow this quite a bit and I highly doubt that Intel catching up performance wise is going to lower pricing at all. Intel already has dropped prices somewhat to compete, but AMD having the performance and process lead right now has given them the ability to raise their prices. Unless Intel comes out with something truly earth shattering, which is pretty unlikely considering AMD and TSMC have both dropped the hammer down on R&D (and aren't letting up) along with Intel's continued inability to get back on top of fab node dominance, AMD and Intel are going to tit for tat for a while. This will be really good for generational IPC gains but price more than likely will actually go up due to shortages and fab costs skyrocketing.

I'm pretty new to this, so correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the new uarch help in terms of power consumption and heat?
In this instance probably not. Reason for this is Rocket Lake was originally designed for 10nm but has been back ported to 14nm. That means that the chip itself will be larger and that usually means more power and heat. The better performance will make for an increase in efficiency but absolute power draw will be similar or slightly worse.

Why are you picking the 9900k as your reference? The 10700k is measurably more efficient than the 9900k. With comparable clocks, I would expect the 11900k to draw more than the 10700k, but probably just bring it in line with the 9900k, while offering much better performance.
Direct from the admin post:
Rocket Lake engineering samples have been benchmarked against the AMD Ryzen 7 5700X and previous-gen Intel Core i7-10700 and i9-9900K.
Since that referenced 9900k, I kept that in my response. Overall there isn't much difference between 9900k and 10700k for power.