Rockstar: Bad Parents Buy Our Games for Kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
i wouldn't even respond to the parents organizations who complain. the game is rated M and parents are responsible for their children, end of story.

t0r012

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
It is about time someone said it!
heck the average age of a gamer is now what 35?

Don't bitch about your kids playing adult games that is your fault not mine.

" parenting isn't a zero sum game, If one of your kids wins a nobel prize and another gets robbed by a hooker you still fail."

G

Maybe we should start rating games with the movie rating system so these dumb parents can translate. It's rated R for violence, blood and gore, and strong language.

1st duke of marlborough

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Too bad people didn't think the same thing--that games are art-- when Max Payne first came out; then the second one (one of the greatest games-as-art titles of all time) would have sold well.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
@t0r012
That reminds me of the article that said that the average gamer was "35, fat, and depressed". Course the fat and depressed could easily be blamed on Seattle, where the study occurred, but... certainly the study showed that the average gamer is of suitable age for adult content.

In fact, with so many gamers adults now, and with children purchasing less games vs adults... it makes a LOT of sense to market a new videogame to an older target audience.

What urks me, is that even a title like RDR is watered down to meet a M rating, since a lot of retailers don't carry AO rated games. Remember when San Andreas got the AO rating due to Hot Coffee, and was pulled from production to appease Wall mart, Target, and Best Buy?

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]Maybe we should start rating games with the movie rating system so these dumb parents can translate. It's rated R for violence, blood and gore, and strong language.[/citation]

Good idea, but the MPAA probably have the rating system copyrighted and would sue ESRB.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
LOL. Games aren't art, they're toys. Maybe these games are adult toys, but they're toys. Try and justify playing with toys at 35 any way you want but that's really all there is to it.

I play games. I just don't try and fool myself about it.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
[citation][nom]t0r012[/nom]It is about time someone said it!heck the average age of a gamer is now what 35?Don't bitch about your kids playing adult games that is your fault not mine." parenting isn't a zero sum game, If one of your kids wins a nobel prize and another gets robbed by a hooker you still fail."[/citation]
There is nothing wrong with getting robbed by a hooker, it happens to everyone :p

G

"parenting isn't a zero sum game, If one of your kids wins a nobel prize and another gets robbed by a hooker you still fail."

That kid needs some GTA4! Learn to shoot down the hos and take the money back!

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Dead on Rockstar. People have their heads up there butts so far that they do not realize that not all video games are for kids and yes lots of people think that video games are toys and toys are for children...this is not the case these days.

There are alot of bad parents out there and that the number will continue to rise sadly. Doesn't matter the US government will be raising all the children soon just as they will be making all our decisions also...thank goodness cause making decisions for myself is getting old! LOL.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]kelemvor4[/nom]LOL. Games aren't art, they're toys. Maybe these games are adult toys, but they're toys. Try and justify playing with toys at 35 any way you want but that's really all there is to it.I play games. I just don't try and fool myself about it.[/citation]

Because you've totally played every game out there and can testify that not a single one is purely art-based. Good to know you're very experienced. :)

dimcorner

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I remember going out to get GTAIV when it first came out for during midnight release and there was a kid there with the parent. The parent was cursing up a storm about why did the kid HAVE to get that game at that time and that games are stupid and called everyone in line a dork. I just said hey, you are the one standing here showing YOUR ID to buy a game at midnight for YOUR kid who is underage so either shut up or go home. No one is forcing you to be here.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I agree with Rockstar 100% on this one.

Just like movies there are some for kids and some for adults...
And if you reaaly want to stick with games being toys, well that applies too... There are some for kids and some for adults :p

anarkeygodslam

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.
2.the class of objects subject to aesthetic criteria; works of art collectively, as paintings, sculptures, or drawings: a museum of art; an art collection.
3.a field, genre, or category of art: Dance is an art.
4.the fine arts collectively, often excluding architecture: art and architecture.
5.any field using the skills or techniques of art: advertising art; industrial art.
6.(in printed matter) illustrative or decorative material: Is there any art with the copy for this story?
7.the principles or methods governing any craft or branch of learning: the art of baking; the art of selling.
8.the craft or trade using these principles or methods.
9.skill in conducting any human activity: a master at the art of conversation.
10.a branch of learning or university study, esp. one of the fine arts or the humanities, as music, philosophy, or literature.
11.arts,
a.(used with a singular verb) the humanities: a college of arts and sciences.
b.(used with a plural verb) liberal arts.
12.skilled workmanship, execution, or agency, as distinguished from nature.
13.trickery; cunning: glib and devious art.
14.studied action; artificiality in behavior.
15.an artifice or artful device: the innumerable arts and wiles of politics.
16.Archaic. science, learning, or scholarship.

All dictionary results for ART. Games are just as much art as anything else.

in0va3

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
Too much children are playing rated M games especially fps. Bad parents just don't care and only think a game is a game and nothing else. I'd agree that a game is not a toy but a form of art because a game has many different aspects to it!

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
Listen I'm a parent and I don't let my daughter play Teen or Mature games.
It's up to us as (The Parents) to take responsibility for our own actions if we were to buy a Mature Game for a ten year old child and that child started to behave in ways that you never saw before then you need to think about what you have done. Stores like Gamestop and etc ID everyone for safety reason and yes even I'd myself get ID and I'm 31. Yes, it's true that parents still see games as children toys but toys are made by adult women and men and there are going to be changes to how adult's have a good time on their own share time. I'd love to play games on my PC and my computer is my number toy. As well as playing video games for the age differences switch for me I'm 31 year old. Today's parents need to make some adjustments within their own household. Please don't blame the developer's that also try to have an open mind for those adults that are in video games or work for the software industries. Some of us is most likely that we have jobs that have something to do with computer development and without it we will have to come up with difference solutions on how we see technology.

t0r012 said the average gamer today is 35 years of age but it's 22 years of age. Now this doesn't mean that as a parent I don't continue to have a relationship with my daughter, switch in fact that i do and together we play games her age and it's a fun time. Dance Dance revolution, little big planet, ETC that is her age type.

G

There may be more, but GameStop comes to mind when I hear Rockstar defending themselves before the onslaught occurs. When in the store, I like to browse, and often hear the clerk telling a parent "This game is rated Mature because of (example)" and I have NEVER heard a parent say "Oh, I wasnt aware, thank you for telling me". Sadly they always end up buying it...

Status
Not open for further replies.