Rockstar: Grand Theft Auto 5 PC Almost Complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Distinguished
I wouldn't build any computer anymore, gaming or otherwise, with less than 8GB of RAM. It doesn't cost much more than 4GB, and it won't take long before you're thankful you sprang for the extra memory anyway.

But will it require us to install a gazillion clients in order to launch it? (Rockstar Social Lounge, GFWL, Steam...). Will it play awfully slow with even with ten times the hardware the consoles had?

I hope they learned their lesson last time and release a proper product for the PC.

Sohaib

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
8 GB RAM for current gaming systems is not "Lots of RAM". I doubt anyone who has built a gaming PC in past 3 or so years have less then 8 GB of RAM. And if you do have less then 8 GB then well its a good time to upgrade.

HomeandOfficeCS

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014
Here's hoping the extra time spent to release the PC version was spent on actually optimizing the port....

I will buy this at full price if it's well done, and not like GTA IV. I really enjoyed GTA V on my 360 before I got rid of that for a gaming laptop.

AJSB

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Almost for sure will need 8GB RAM and i'm OK with that....i only hope they done a polished port because i really want to play this game.

mrmez

Splendid
Since when isn't 8Gb enough for 1080 gaming???
Anything I've been bothered to play this year hasn't even used much over 4Gb.

There are plenty of reasons to get loads more ram. Photo and video editing, ultra high rez/multi monitor gaming, but not for 1080 or even 1440. Not yet.

Anyway, hurry up GTA!!!

Max Payne 3 was their last major PC release and it did not require GFWL but it still had the R* social club as will GTA V.

It is on the fly. At least that is how the XB1 and PS4 handle it (from videos I have watched).

In the end though, why is it taking longer to finish for the PC? I honestly do not know why or how, especially with the "next-gen" consoles being pretty much a PC with custom OSes it is not nearly as hard to port data to and from.

As for the 8GB, if Max Payne 3 needed 16GB (according to recommended) and GTA V is using the same game engine and is instead open world (as opposed to closed world shooter) then I could see 8GB or even 16GB being needed for the maximum settings.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
How does it take more memory to render 1st person view? Wouldn't that actually take less due to FoV changes, and camera angles not rendering a lot of the upper range that 3rd person does? As well as the reduction of character animations (Which was EVERYONES excuse for everything for the 360 and PS3).

mrmez

Splendid
16Gb? As if.

The closest thing out now is Watch Dogs, they recommend 6Gb. Thats basically saying 4Gb is not quite enough, but you won't need 8Gb.
Even Far Cry 4 only needs 4Gb.

With most games being GPU limited anyway, there should be plenty of CPU power left to seamlessly load and unload ram as needed.
I'd be more concerned about GPU ram especially at higher resolution/detail. People who have the last of the 2Gb cards might be in trouble. They will still have enough power to run decent settings, but they might run out of ram.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Let the paid beta testing begin! I hope they are willing to test it before shipping. I don't want to buy a early access game priced like a finished. If Rockstar gets it right, I might forgive them for GTA IV on the PC.

Reepca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
I'm curious - why do you need separate animations (or "new animations") for first-person going from third-person? As long as you make the animations look realistic the first time around, it shouldn't matter where you see it from, right?

chaospower

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
I wouldn't build any computer anymore, gaming or otherwise, with less than 8GB of RAM. It doesn't cost much more than 4GB, and it won't take long before you're thankful you sprang for the extra memory anyway.
Very wrong in my opinion. While a gaming PC would definitely need 8GB of ram (I've tried playing BF4 multiplayer with 4gb of ram, definitely not a fun experience)
a Work/internet surfing/video watching PC can function great with 4GB of ram. A single 4gb stick of ram is more than 50$ where i live, when i built my dad a 250$ office computer, It was either spending that money on those extra 4GB of ram to make it 8GB, and that will hardly ever be used, or a 60GB SSD that would speed up his bootup and pretty much his entire PC experience considerably. Obviously I went for the second choice and i don't regret it. By the time even basic tasks will require more than 4GB of ram, his whole PC will probably be obsolete.

DecafTable

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
I wouldn't mind if it listed 8GB of RAM. I play a lot of different games and I've yet to see RAM usage exceed 3.5GB of RAM. If Rockstar can utilize this to make the game run smoothly instead of running off a HDD all the time, i'm all for it!

dstarr3

Distinguished

Well, the two biggest differences are the guns and characters arms suddenly need much more detailed models, animations, and textures since you're viewing them from so close. And then car interiors now need to be modeled in much higher resolution and detail for the same reason. So, those two things requiring much more detail account for much of the memory increase. But also, since you can switch between first- and third-person on the fly, that means that both need to be loaded in memory simultaneously. So it's not like only one perspective and its assets occupy space in memory at any given time: both perspectives and both versions of assets do simultaneously. Not having to render both saves on processing, but not on memory use.

hardcore_player

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Rockstar is doing a pretty good job with GTA V ..., unlike Ubisoft with Watch Dogs , its a ported version of consoles .
so I guess 8GB should be enough to start with ... hell.. it won't cost you an arm and a leg to save some bucks for another 8GB of ram . even the new generation of crappy consoles PS4 and XBOX1 use 8GB ...damn

The3monitors

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
Hopefully they hired konami to do their porting. Just bought Mgs ground zeros off of steam and damn they got their $hit together after mgr. My intel 4000 display adapter on my laptop plays it on high quality without really much of hickups. They did a f'ing great job! I salute you konami for getting your act together. Rising was boggy unless i had it on medium to low resolution. Even on my desktop. (Different story but altogether a pain to play through)

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
well i guess i need to live with social club in this game to. i sent a help request 21 days ago, social club would not let me play max pain 3, and it would also not take my cd key. 7 days ago they fixed social club but it will still not take my cd key. i don't believe i will get to play max pain 3 this year.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Take your time Rockstar. I won't be buying it until it's $15 on the 2016 Steam sale. You screw PC users over, we screw you over. I spent $70 each on 3 games this year by the way because they took the opposite tact of catering to the PC audience and not vilifying us.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Rockstar - thanks for the wait on the PC release. In return for this favour, I'll make you wait unitil this game sells for $9.99 on Steam.

If it sells on GFWL, forget it completely. I'd rather rub broken glass into my eyes. Ditto if you invent another Dog Dam gaming client that is required to run it.

And to all the PC game publishers, whom make us their unpaid beta testers; I'm done. If it ain't SIX+ months released / old, I simply won't buy it. Mark not only my words, but I think the PC gaming community as a whole is slowly waking up to your attitude towards us.

Have a rotten day!

Status
Not open for further replies.