Question ROG CROSSHAIR VIII Dark Hero NVME read only

yoaverez

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2002
I'm trying to help a client with a MASSIVE Gaming PC with custom water cooling (this thing is like 2 feet tall off the ground. It has 2 NVME 2TB Drives in the motherboard that I cannot remove because of the water cooling.

The computer was working fine for months when today it stopped booting to Windows claiming there is a REGISTERY ERROR (BSOD), I disconnected all the drives and booted from HIREN BOOT CD so that I Can backup the data from the SSD's to an external, while in HIREN it wouldn't let me delete anything from the drive but I think it was crucial, I then tried to restart and boot a Windows 10 install disk so I can wipe the drives and reinstall Windows 10 (assuming this is a software error).

There is absolutely nothing I can do to make any changes to these drives. I cannot wipe them, repartition, delete, nothing. Every time I try to install Windows it says there is an error (assuming that it's because it cannot write to either drive). I tried UEFI and LEGACY, nothing works.

I updated the BIOS version, still nothing.

The most suspicious thing is that when I go into the BIOS and try to do a self test on drive 1 the bios will CRASH. It freezes and the only thing I can do is force it to shutdown and restart. Drive 2 was able to go through the test one time but crashed on the other attempts.

I feel like the motherboard needs to be RMA'd but I just wanted to come here and run it by the experts for a second opinion.

Thank you!

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
There is no way to secure erase the drive. and which warranty are you talking about?

Did you see the part about how the BIOS NVME Drive Test crashes the BIOS ?
Then the motherboard may be faulty.

Try the drive, individually, on a different board.

In any case....get the data first.
Whatever may be faulty after that can always be replaced.

yoaverez

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2002
The data has already been backed up. That was the first thing we did.

Cannot try the drive on a different system because of the water cooling setup.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
The data has already been backed up. That was the first thing we did.

Cannot try the drive on a different system because of the water cooling setup.
So....

You can't remove the drives, due to the custom liquid config?
Completely disregarding any RAID whatever, booting from a Windows or Linux USB fails?

Do you at least get to the BIOS?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS