Question ROG CROSSHAIR VIII Dark Hero NVME read only

yoaverez

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2002
I'm trying to help a client with a MASSIVE Gaming PC with custom water cooling (this thing is like 2 feet tall off the ground. It has 2 NVME 2TB Drives in the motherboard that I cannot remove because of the water cooling.

The computer was working fine for months when today it stopped booting to Windows claiming there is a REGISTERY ERROR (BSOD), I disconnected all the drives and booted from HIREN BOOT CD so that I Can backup the data from the SSD's to an external, while in HIREN it wouldn't let me delete anything from the drive but I think it was crucial, I then tried to restart and boot a Windows 10 install disk so I can wipe the drives and reinstall Windows 10 (assuming this is a software error).

There is absolutely nothing I can do to make any changes to these drives. I cannot wipe them, repartition, delete, nothing. Every time I try to install Windows it says there is an error (assuming that it's because it cannot write to either drive). I tried UEFI and LEGACY, nothing works.

I updated the BIOS version, still nothing.

The most suspicious thing is that when I go into the BIOS and try to do a self test on drive 1 the bios will CRASH. It freezes and the only thing I can do is force it to shutdown and restart. Drive 2 was able to go through the test one time but crashed on the other attempts.

I feel like the motherboard needs to be RMA'd but I just wanted to come here and run it by the experts for a second opinion.

Thank you!