Question ROG Maximus VII hero is power cycling non stop, getting to about 63-67 Q Code (CPU DXE init. is started) and then shutting off.

Dec 16, 2020
Video of whats happening:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pchelp/comments/keblys/ive_got_a_power_cycling_issue_i_had_a_00_q_code/

I was messing around with it last night, it booted normally, I turned it off to screw back in 1 12V fan above my CPU cooler and then it stopped working again. Any ideas help, from what i've read, it seems either CPU related or PSU related. Maybe a bent CPU pin? I had that issue when I originally put the comp together, but it had been working this entire time, I was watching a youtube video the other day, and she just turned off.

Damjan_2

Reputable
Aug 2, 2016
Video of whats happening:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pchelp/comments/keblys/ive_got_a_power_cycling_issue_i_had_a_00_q_code/

I was messing around with it last night, it booted normally, I turned it off to screw back in 1 12V fan above my CPU cooler and then it stopped working again. Any ideas help, from what i've read, it seems either CPU related or PSU related. Maybe a bent CPU pin? I had that issue when I originally put the comp together, but it had been working this entire time, I was watching a youtube video the other day, and she just turned off.
Hey, I've been having a similar issue with my PC, it comes to POST code 63 but mine boots, also takes like 20 seconds just to see the ROG logo. Have you tried BIOS Flashback? It helped me be in able to boot again. I doubt it's a bent pin unless you took your CPU out. Try BIOS Flashback and let me know how it goes.

Dec 16, 2020
Hey, I've been having a similar issue with my PC, it comes to POST code 63 but mine boots, also takes like 20 seconds just to see the ROG logo. Have you tried BIOS Flashback? It helped me be in able to boot again. I doubt it's a bent pin unless you took your CPU out. Try BIOS Flashback and let me know how it goes.

Thanks for the response. I just tried to use a BIOS flashback and I am still getting the same problem. It's just shutting off near 65 q-code and power cycling. I have researched quite heavily into this and haven't really found solutions. I'm thinking maybe just buy a new motherboard? My only concern is that its CPU related so buying a motherboard might still present the same issue, at that point I would need to replace the cpu too.

Damjan_2

Reputable
Aug 2, 2016
Thanks for the response. I just tried to use a BIOS flashback and I am still getting the same problem. It's just shutting off near 65 q-code and power cycling. I have researched quite heavily into this and haven't really found solutions. I'm thinking maybe just buy a new motherboard? My only concern is that its CPU related so buying a motherboard might still present the same issue, at that point I would need to replace the cpu too.
Try to see if you can get a Pentium G3258. They cost around 15-20€ and it will say to you what is the issue. If the issue persists, it‘s the motherboard, if not, CPU. Good luck.

Damjan_2

Reputable
Aug 2, 2016
Did you rename the BIOS file to what the motherboard is looking for when the BIOS Flashback is enabled? I thing it has to be M7H.cap file name in order for it to work. As I said, see if you can get the Pentium G3258. Will tell you if your CPU is broken or motherboard.

Damjan_2

Reputable
Aug 2, 2016
One more thing I just remembered, did you try unplugging all SATA devices and you GPU?

Dec 16, 2020
Did you rename the BIOS file to what the motherboard is looking for when the BIOS Flashback is enabled? I thing it has to be M7H.cap file name in order for it to work. As I said, see if you can get the Pentium G3258. Will tell you if your CPU is broken or motherboard.
I did rename my file M7H.cap and that was the only file on the drive. One of my roomates has a pc too so I might ask him if I can try to swap his processor into mine so I don't need to waste $. Not sure if he has an 1151 though. What do you mean by SATA devices? I will unplug my GPU and give it a go again.