[SOLVED] ROG Maximus XIII Hero NOT compatible with Oculus Quest 2 Link?

Apr 29, 2021
Just had this motherboard for about a week with the i9-11900K CPU., and 32GB RAM. I also have a Oculus Quest 2 with the Link Cable. My previous system i7-6700K and Asus Maximus VIII Hero worked fine with Oculus Link. I have disabled the 'Thunderbolt' on the USB-C ports, tried enabled as well. Updated ALL drivers, and Nvidia drivers, latest Bios and Win 10. Disabled and Re-loaded the USB Hub and Root Controllers and disabled Power Management. Un-installed and Re-installed the Oculus Software and Enabled Oculus PTC. Factory reset on the Quest 2 VR Headset. BUT the Oculus link will not connect to this MB, I get a error, 'Device Not Recognised' . The Oculus Link USB-C to USB-C cable DOES charge the Quest 2 on the MBs USB-C port, but NO data? My portable USB-C SSD works fine on these ports. I have tried a different cable to the Quest 2, and also with an C to A adaptor, tried ALL the USB 3.2 and 2.0 A ports. Quest 2 'Device Not Recognised'? Really upset by this as I did use the Quest 2 Link very often. Contacted Oculus Tech Support, but they are now out of options to help fix this. How can this new motherboard be incompatible with the popular Oculus Quest 2 ?

Solution
As said the Quest 2 worked fine on my previous system Asus Maximus VIII Hero
but when was this?
as i said, "have you recently tried the Oculus Quest on a different system ".
as in, since it has stopped being detected on the main system.

if other USB devices are still working fine and being properly detected on those same ports, i doubt it would be a fault of the motherboard.
it sounds more like a connection issue with the device itself
or possibly even a fault in the OS.

but you never know when or how a certain component may experience a malfunction.
whether it be the Oculus Link, the motherboard(which seems unlikely), or some other device in the chain you don't know until you have verified everything still works on another...
Apr 29, 2021
have you recently tried the Oculus Quest on a different system to verify it isn't a problem with the device itself?
even if it worked fine in the past, it could just be a coincidence that it has malfunctioned just as you built a new system.
As said the Quest 2 worked fine on my previous system Asus Maximus VIII Hero, and I have no other PCs other than an old Sabertooth Z77, ready to sell, but it has no Windows installed, and no USB-C connections. Another thing I just tried, I downloaded loads of Intel drivers from Microsoft Updates, but still no difference. The fact that Windows 10 says 'Device Not Recognised' shows that a device is detected, and the Oculus Link Cable is charging the Quest 2. My Pc Supplier Tech Support is struggling to find a solution. And even though Oculus Tech have said there is no more they can do, I intend to keep on to them. There has to a fix. If not I intend to insist my PC Supplier to change the motherboard for a different type. This is really upsetting for, as I used the PC Link a lot. Very unlikely the Quest 2 is faulty as it works perfect as standalone. I cant even use the Oculus Air Link, as this has to be setup through the PC Link first.

As said the Quest 2 worked fine on my previous system Asus Maximus VIII Hero
but when was this?
as i said, "have you recently tried the Oculus Quest on a different system ".
as in, since it has stopped being detected on the main system.

if other USB devices are still working fine and being properly detected on those same ports, i doubt it would be a fault of the motherboard.
it sounds more like a connection issue with the device itself
or possibly even a fault in the OS.

but you never know when or how a certain component may experience a malfunction.
whether it be the Oculus Link, the motherboard(which seems unlikely), or some other device in the chain you don't know until you have verified everything still works on another system.

one easy trial would be to do a wipe & total fresh OS install of the latest package from Microsoft with a reloading of all the latest system device drivers.
many times a single corrupted system file can lead to issues like this with multiple devices.
updates and even an OS Reset or Refresh many times will not accomplish the same thing as a total wipe & reinstall.

Solution