[SOLVED] ROG pg279q +RTX2070 Displayport refreshrate issue

fish212

Reputable
Dec 20, 2019
Hi,

I have an Asus Rog pg279q and Nvidia rtx 2070. Connected via displayport.

All drivers up to date.

Whenever I set my refreshrate to anything above 85hz my monitor flashes on and off every +/- 10 seconds.

I have tried multiple Displayports on the card. All give the same result. After doing some reading up, I came to the conclusion that the issue is most likely due to the Displayport cable not being VESA certified? I have no idea how I can check if the cable is VESA certified or not. So I will just assume it is not.

I am now looking for a replacement cable, however the issue is that a cannot find one that meets the length requirement. Because I want to game in total silence, my desketop is located in the next room and the DP cable runs trough a hole in the wall from my desktop to my monitor. The minimal required distance to from my desktop to monitor (including all the bends and corners) is 7,5m.

I cannot seem to find any VESA certified DP cable with this length.

Can anyone tell me if one exists? and if so maybe provide a link to the product? If it turns out it does not exit, I was thinking that maybe a certified DP + certified DP extension would be a solution of that exists?

Side note, I live in Belgium but via Amazon i think I can find any or most US products in Europe.

Thanks for any help!

Solution
Hi,

All drivers up to date.

Whenever I set my refreshrate to anything above 85hz my monitor flashes on and off every +/- 10 seconds.

I have tried multiple Displayports on the card. All give the same result. After doing some reading up, I came to the conclusion that the issue is most likely due to the Displayport cable not being VESA certified?
Yes.
It is very difficult to make a DP cable that long that can handle HBR2 speeds.
Hi,

All drivers up to date.

I have tried multiple Displayports on the card. All give the same result. After doing some reading up, I came to the conclusion that the issue is most likely due to the Displayport cable not being VESA certified?
Yes.
It is very difficult to make a DP cable that long that can handle HBR2 speeds.

Solution
Apr 6, 2020
A VESA cerified cable won’t work. You need a fiber DisplayPort cable for that length. They are expensive but will work. Anything over 4M won’t go 1440 144Hz or above.

A VESA cerified cable won’t work. You need a fiber DisplayPort cable for that length. They are expensive but will work. Anything over 4M won’t go 1440 144Hz or above.
A VESA certified passive cable would work if he could find one of the desired length and speed rating (HBR2), otherwise it would not have been able to pass the certification. It is highly unlikely he will be able to find a certified cable at that length but it's more correct to say "you won't be able to find any VESA-certified cables that long".

Also, VESA certification covers active cables and fiber optic cables.