ROG-POSEIDON-GTX1080TI SLi 90°c+

Joseph_87

Reputable
Jul 3, 2016
I need some advice. So i have a media server/gaming pc that operates 24/7 but my gpus are reaching extreme high temps in sli even with 100% fan curve... 90°C+

Fractal Design define r6 black tg (honestly the worst case i had so far)
Gigabyte x399 designare ex
Amd ryzen threadripper 1920x
Noctua u12s (i believe)
2xrog poseidon gtx1080ti in sli

Cpu temp is perfect gpu temp is unacceptably high. After setting fans to 100% superposition reaches 94°c after 10 consecutive runs. Airflow is really zero but even by removing the whole front and side panels of the case the card top card reaches 84°c easily. 78 if i run a single card.what are my options other than changing this nightmare case and adding water cooling to the gpus? Is this even a good idea to use water cooling if the machine is pretty much up all the time?

I have 2x 140mm front intake fans and 1 exhaust at the back but i also tried 3x 120mm intake in front still nowhere near <80°c with constant 100% fanspeed. Gpus are brand new and both of them are well under 80 if used alone with removed panels on stock fan curve.

Solution
I would say water cooling. If you don't trust a custom loop you can try some of EK's quick disconnect pre-filled and expandable hardware.

Axial cooled cards just don't work well when stacked on top of each other. If you planned SLI from the start you probably should have stuck to blower style. Might not have been much cooler, but at least they would act as exhausts. Axial cards rely on air flow in and out of the case to equalize everything. If even having the side panels off isn't enough, then you need a different cooling solution.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would say water cooling. If you don't trust a custom loop you can try some of EK's quick disconnect pre-filled and expandable hardware.

Axial cooled cards just don't work well when stacked on top of each other. If you planned SLI from the start you probably should have stuck to blower style. Might not have been much cooler, but at least they would act as exhausts. Axial cards rely on air flow in and out of the case to equalize everything. If even having the side panels off isn't enough, then you need a different cooling solution.

Solution

junii

Notable
Feb 17, 2018
Liquid cooling is going to be the way to go, try to let the gpus rest for 30 mins, wait for all heat to be gone, and then run a benchmark, with the same settings. IFFF it doesnt get that hot, go with liquid, if it goes up really quick to a big difference like from 30 to 60 then liquid cooling again, custom loop is probably a good a idea