Question ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING II

Blos88

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
hey all
so i bought this board ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING II

i was reading the users manual and says the follow:

• PCIe x16_3 slot share bandwidth with PCIe x1_1, PCIe x1_2 and PCIe x1_3
  • When the M.2_1 Socket 3 is operating in SATA or PCIE mode, SATA6G_5/6 ports will be disabled.
*When the M.2_2 is occupied by M.2 device, PCIe x16_1 will run at x8 mode.

i have 2 nvme m.2 now, its means i will lose performance on my gtx 1660 or any card that i install there with my 2 ssd?

thank you

DavidM012

Distinguished
1% according to Gamer's Nexus - technically a difference but practically imperceptible. Why's it there maybe because there was a direction to go down for developers, excess bandwidth that ended up not being all that useful and they went pci-e 4.0 instead. There is a mildly interesting story that they 'were' going to implement pci-e 4.0 on some b450 boards but shelved it.

Some beta bioses around - could you trust it though, not with a dearth of experience. No-one's raving about it so maybe it all petered out. Pci-e 4.0 8x is the same speed as pci-e 3.0 16x. Dig up the bioses - who knows what's been tampered with by now, besides which it's 200% probable that tinkering with it will void your warranty.

It was shut down and they likely won't go back to it since they're probably forging on with 5.0. Anyway you can use both your nvme drives with no significant performance hit.

Last edited:

DavidM012

Distinguished
I think maybe they thought it wasn't worth the risk & hassle for 1% gain in most cases, plus the additional power requirements of pci-e 4.0 gpus since a lot of people simply don't select a quality power supply, if they got system instability there would've been too many unhappy customers. Maybe it could've worked - in a more perfect world!

... There is a mildly interesting story that they 'were' going to implement pci-e 4.0 on some b450 boards but shelved it.
Asus actually DID implement PCIe gen 4 on many of their early BIOS's for Ryzen 3000 CPU's when they first released. AMD did not want it, though, so later AGESA's (the core code of the BIOS, provided to mfr's by AMD) locked it out for 300 and 400 series chipsets.

I can imagine it would still work if you can get hold of an early Zen 2 BIOS for the board. But then it would not work with a 5000 and some 3000 CPU's. Even those it would work with would probably perform pretty bad as AMD improved memory compatibility and CPU performance with later AGESA.