Question ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING - RAM error

Sep 9, 2019
Hello,

I just built a new computer (done it many times), but this time I kept some parts; GPU (1060Ti 6GB), chassis and the PSU (XFX 850W).

Right after I installed it, I booted everything up, and for some reason my graphic card wasn't working properly, it had like low-res graphics, I also saw that my CPU fan wasn't spnning. It had to be connected, I got a message at startup saying a new CPU fan was found on startup, but wierd..

I rebooted everything, replugged the fan and the graphics card, and now the system won't start up again. After replugging everything a few times, clearing CMOS, I see that the motherboard LED light up orange for RAM. I've replugged it a million times, using A2+B2, only A2 so on.

I had the system running, so I just cannot understand what it is, any tips?

Parts:
Motherboard: ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport AT DDR4 3200MHz 2x8GB

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I would shut down, then unplug the PSU then remove the RAM and re-install 1 stick in slot A2.
Then if it will POST, go into the BIOS and set the Optimized defaults.
Then save and reboot and enter the BIOS again just to be sure everything is at the default values.
If it doesn't post unplug it and hold the Power Button in for at least 30 seconds (the onboard RGBs will flash on then off at some point to let you know that all power has been drained from the MB).
Then clear the CMOS using the onboard jumper, short it with a screw driver for at least 15 seconds.
Then see if it will POST.

Then shutdown and re-install the other RAMM stick in slot B2 and see if it will boot with both sticks installed.
If it does I would run Memtest 86+ on the RAM and see if you get any errors.
If you do then test 1 stick at a time in slot A2 to see which stick is bad.

Sep 9, 2019
I would shut down, then unplug the PSU then remove the RAM and re-install 1 stick in slot A2.
Then if it will POST, go into the BIOS and set the Optimized defaults.
Then save and reboot and enter the BIOS again just to be sure everything is at the default values.
If it doesn't post unplug it and hold the Power Button in for at least 30 seconds (the onboard RGBs will flash on then off at some point to let you know that all power has been drained from the MB).
Then clear the CMOS using the onboard jumper, short it with a screw driver for at least 15 seconds.
Then see if it will POST.

Then shutdown and re-install the other RAMM stick in slot B2 and see if it will boot with both sticks installed.
If it does I would run Memtest 86+ on the RAM and see if you get any errors.
If you do then test 1 stick at a time in slot A2 to see which stick is bad.

I got it in the end. However, it seems that my CPU fan won't run while the 8pin and power for my graphic card of connected. If I unplug the 8pin the CPU fan goes, but it still no longer boot.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Check the BIOS, if you are using a BIOS 2704, it has a setting to change the minimum CPU fan speed.
I don't remember if it was somewhere in the Advanced or Monitor section, but I know it was not easy to find unless you are looking for it.
I occasionally got a boot warning that my CPU fan wasn't working/connected so I changed that setting to ignore and I haven't had that issue since.
If that doesn't work, I would contact Asus and RMA it.

Last edited: