[SOLVED] Rog Strix doesn't boot from SATA ports ?

Apr 13, 2022
I am building a Rog Strix Z590-e with i7 11Th gen with 2 SSD on SATA ports. The problem is that the BIOS shows the DVD,Blueray, SSD that I am migrating with a Windows version from a different computer and an SSD Samsung of 1T in a RAID list, the Boot list is empty and should let me drag the boot order but it doesn't let me do it. How I can fix this in the Bios?
I already interchanged ALL the SATA ports with as you imagine NO PROGRES. Any idea how to fix this problem.
I am no programmer, just basic knowledge of electronics, and everything physical that's in the build is working as should be at least.
Any help will be very appreciated

Solution
Bios will only show compatible drives as bootable, if you have it set as legacy only those will show up, if you have secure boot then only those will show up.
Same goes for the usb stick you have to make sure it supports the propper boot method (legacy/secure) .

That assumes that any of your disks are actually bootable, if they are all empty they will not show up, if the one that has windows on it was booting from a second disk and doesn't have any boot files it won't show up.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
There is a lot of possibility here.

As a start, have you read your manual to be sure that the slot you are connecting SATA to doesn't disable when (if) there is an M.2 drive connected?

If you were using that OS disk in another PC, when the install was done on that machine was it the single ONLY drive connected?

The single easiest thing I can suggest is to download and create an official USB installer from Microsoft, connect only the disk you wish to be the OS drive, and install Windows on it fresh. Rebuild the rest of your storage structure after the clean install.

Apr 13, 2022
There is a lot of possibility here.

As a start, have you read your manual to be sure that the slot you are connecting SATA to doesn't disable when (if) there is an M.2 drive connected?

If you were using that OS disk in another PC, when the install was done on that machine was it the single ONLY drive connected?

The single easiest thing I can suggest is to download and create an official USB installer from Microsoft, connect only the disk you wish to be the OS drive, and install Windows on it fresh. Rebuild the rest of your storage structure after the clean install.
No M.2 drive, don't have one
Yes in the previous computer it was the only drive
I created a boot USB for windows 10, no luck, the motherboard doesn't want to reedit even it shows in the boot list, I tried with an old disk, and happened the same, on boot list was not readable ... i even tried the SSD Samsung I have empty but it happened the same, on list but can't drag to boot list

Bios will only show compatible drives as bootable, if you have it set as legacy only those will show up, if you have secure boot then only those will show up.
Same goes for the usb stick you have to make sure it supports the propper boot method (legacy/secure) .

That assumes that any of your disks are actually bootable, if they are all empty they will not show up, if the one that has windows on it was booting from a second disk and doesn't have any boot files it won't show up.

Solution
No M.2 drive, don't have one
Yes in the previous computer it was the only drive
I created a boot USB for windows 10, no luck, the motherboard doesn't want to reedit even it shows in the boot list, I tried with an old disk, and happened the same, on boot list was not readable ... i even tried the SSD Samsung I have empty but it happened the same, on list but can't drag to boot list
You can only drag drives to the boot list which the motherboard recognizes as having a bootable operating system. Try switching the bios into the Advanced mode (usually by pressing F7) then go to the Boot menu and scroll down to the Boot Override section on the bottom. You can boot from any disk listed there. If there are none that means your motherboard doesn't recognize any of the drives as having bootable operating systems and you will have to figure out why that is. If you don't see the windows install usb listed there then you did not properly create it.

Ver. 0902
problem is how i will upload a new version if the system dont let me do any Boot?
If you disconnect every drive you have, can you boot into the bios? If successful, you can use the update option under to Tool menu of the bios (press F7 if you're not in the Advanced mode). Or, what happens if you press the bios reset button the the back of the motherboard? What happens if you use the bios flashback procedure as instructed on page 2-22 of the manual?

Apr 13, 2022
If you disconnect every drive you have, can you boot into the bios? If successful, you can use the update option under to Tool menu of the bios (press F7 if you're not in the Advanced mode). Or, what happens if you press the bios reset button the the back of the motherboard? What happens if you use the bios flashback procedure as instructed on page 2-22 of the manual?
I have been working, sorry for the time between my reply. I tried to boot the board with the USB and it was shown in the list but when I do the restart everything is dark, as if nothing is happening, I don't know what exactly I did wrong or if it takes longer to load the information

Apr 13, 2022
I have been working, sorry for the time between my reply. I tried to boot the board with the USB and it was shown in the list but when I do the restart everything is dark, as if nothing is happening, I don't know what exactly I did wrong or if it takes longer to load the information
I try again and it boots from the USB but at the compatibility report, it stops when ask to install and the one
that says repair I don't have the knowledge,don't know where to go

I think the time has come to temporarily give up on your current windows installation and as a minimum try and figure out if you have a real hardware problem. Download a linux live distro and try booting a usb containing that. If you can get that to boot at least you will be able to evaluate if all of your hardware is functioning properly. If yes, you could connect your old drives one by one and use the Gparted app contained therein to delete all of the old partition information on them, make sure that they have GPT identifiers and then reinstall windows on one of them. Alternately you could use the bios's Tool menu Erase function to erase all of your old drives. In addition if you download the latest bios and store the cap file on the usb you will be able to use the bios's Tool menu EZ update function to update to that bios. I'm currently using a ROG Strix Z590-E and I do it all the time, works fine.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022
I think the time has come to temporarily give up on your current windows installation and as a minimum try and figure out if you have a real hardware problem. Download a linux live distro and try booting a usb containing that. If you can get that to boot at least you will be able to evaluate if all of your hardware is functioning properly. If yes, you could connect your old drives one by one and use the Gparted app contained therein to delete all of the old partition information on them, make sure that they have GPT identifiers and then reinstall windows on one of them. Alternately you could use the bios's Tool menu Erase function to erase all of your old drives. In addition if you download the latest bios and store the cap file on the usb you will be able to use the bios's Tool menu EZ update function to update to that bios. I'm currently using a ROG Strix Z590-E and I do it all the time, works fine.
The USB worked at last but don't know the next step,any way I will make the download of the updates for the BIOS

Apr 13, 2022
Now I did it worst, followed the instructions for RAID on this site and the SSDs don't appear in the RAID list of EZ mode, just in PCH storage configuration but don't know what to do

Now I did it worst, followed the instructions for RAID on this site and the SSDs don't appear in the RAID list of EZ mode, just in PCH storage configuration but don't know what to do
Are these ssds exactly the same make, model and size? Otherwise the computer won't see them as Raid worthy. Besides with ssd's speed and reliability raid really isn't necessary. You should focus on just getting windows installed on 1 ssd and ensuring that your entire computer is working according to design. Also you have to read the manual and learn how to use the bios' advanced mode.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022
Are these ssds exactly the same make, model and size? Otherwise the computer won't see them as Raid worthy. Besides with ssd's speed and reliability raid really isn't necessary. You should focus on just getting windows installed on 1 ssd and ensuring that your entire computer is working according to design. Also you have to read the manual and learn how to use the bios' advanced mode.
I read it a few times but the language did not tell me anything.I did the RAID instructions and now there are only 1
SSD are different brandy 1 with Windows the biggest one empty, Raid put then in like 1 dive but can't load as the drive to work. I am tired of read the manual, I don't understand most of the language, it needs a manual explaining what do all the acronyms and simple tells me how to put 1 simple drive go up as principal.
The drive with a working windows is ADATA SU635 240.00Gb,the second a Samsung 860 EVO 1Tb
After the instructions of raid both are like added and appears Intel volume 1 480.1Gb and still can't drag them.
This doesn't explain to me why the DVD and Blu-ray drives can't be put as butable nut in the list of Raid

Apr 13, 2022
I read it a few times but the language did not tell me anything.I did the RAID instructions and now there are only 1

SSD are different brandy 1 with Windows the biggest one empty, Raid put then in like 1 dive but can't load as the drive to work. I am tired of read the manual, I don't understand most of the language, it needs a manual explaining what do all the acronyms and simple tells me how to put 1 simple drive go up as principal.
The drive with a working windows is ADATA SU635 240.00Gb,the second a Samsung 860 EVO 1Tb
After the instructions of raid both are like added and appears Intel volume 1 480.1Gb and still can't drag them.
This doesn't explain to me why the DVD and Blu-ray drives can't be put as butable nut in the list of Raid
In this address are the screen that appears
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/u5g5zb/have_a_rog_strix_z590e_that_dont_let_me_boot_from/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

You are making RAID with DVD drives?
Do you understand, what RAID is?

You still haven't answered to this:
Please list model names of your drives.
Are they both with data? or one with data and other empty?
What was that about RAID ? Please explain.

If you created raid volume from 240GB drive and 1TB drive and got 480GB RAID volume, then all your data is lost. You have overwritten it by creating RAID volume.
  1. Switch bios to advanded mode.
  2. Turn off Intel RST, switch sata controller to AHCI mode.
  3. Have only single drive connected and install windows.

Last edited:
Reactions: dwd999
Apr 13, 2022
You are making RAID with DVD drives?
Do you understand, what RAID is?

You still haven't answered to this:

If you created raid volume from 240GB drive and 1TB drive and got 480GB RAID volume, then all your data is lost. You have overwritten it by creating RAID volume.
  1. Switch bios to advanded mode.
  2. Turn off Intel RST, switch sata controller to AHCI mode.
  3. Have only single drive connected and install windows.
No I don't understand what exactly is RAID it only sais in the instructions that you have copies of data in both SSD not that they delete ALL the data from both SSD...bad instructions from ASUS then
I unloged the small one that used to have the windows and changed por of the Samsung but it does not shoe in the initial list nor the blueray
No I just used RAID for the SSD
I will love this site led me insert pictures not sites to show you easy
Another mistake of this company

Apr 13, 2022
Since you created RAID volume on both of your drives, there is no more data on them.
You were warned about data loss, when you did that.

Now you have to reinstall everything.

You can use imgur.com to upload your images and post link here.
Well it said that I can lose the data IF I eliminate the RAID, not at the moment of being created...it is bad language in the instructions

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022
In the simplest of terms "RAID" is a method by which you take multiple drives and create one larger disk out of them and typically with some manner of mirror or parity (backup for loss) on the array.
y at last un-RAID the computer,back to original 2 SSD and DVD,Blueray drives in list but can't boot from them