[SOLVED] ROG Strix LC GeForce RTX™ 3080 Ti in a Lian Li O11 DYNAMIC

BlazingSword

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
Hello Forum,
I will soon buy the 3080 Ti ROG Strix LC to upgrade from my 2080ti, which because of some weird problem that i could never solve (factory defect maybe?) would always power limit throttle at about 68% to 70%, giving in average roughly the same performance as a 1070, but i digress.

The issue is that since the new GPU is so tall including the water tubing, that it definitely won't fit in my case horizontally and I need to buy a vertical mount.
So can i just buy any vertical mount or should i go for the one made by Lian Li for my case? I have never used vertical mounts before and I don't know if i should worry about performance issues because of the mount.
Should i install the GPU radiator on the top of the case or is it fine if i install it on the bottom? Since i have 2 120mm fans installed on the bottom which i could swap for the radiator (will there even be any space for the radiator underneath the vertical gpu+mount)?
Depending on where to install it, would it be better to put the fans as intake or exhaust? I have a 360mm radiator for my CPU in the central space inside the case as an exhaust.

Or if there's anything else that i might be forgetting to consider that you may think of, i would greatly appreciate any info or suggestions.
Thanks in advance!

Solution
I can tackle a couple of these.
Should i install the GPU radiator on the top of the case or is it fine if i install it on the bottom? Since i have 2 120mm fans installed on the bottom which i could swap for the radiator (will there even be any space for the radiator underneath the vertical gpu+mount)?
Bottom mounted AIO radiator is a no-no, as the pump is inside the gpu shroud, air makes its way to the top of the loop, and the pump area should stay wet.
That leaves the top or the side... the top would be the most favorable, IMO.

Depending on where to install it, would it be better to put the fans as intake or exhaust? I have a 360mm radiator for my CPU in the central space inside the case as an exhaust.
Gpu AIO top...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Bottom mounted AIO radiator is a no-no, as the pump is inside the gpu shroud, air makes its way to the top of the loop, and the pump area should stay wet.

Gpu AIO top exhaust, cpu AIO side intake.

Or if there's anything else that i might be forgetting to consider that you may think of, i would greatly appreciate any info or suggestions.
Organize a Plan B for the cooler, as there is a major drawback to gpu AIOs that gets overlooked.
Will you end up upgrading that gpu before the warranty expires? If not, you will need a backup cooler for when the pump fails or shows signs of it - the same applies to the cpu AIO, but it's more inconvenient with gpu AIO's.
I checked, and this version of Alphacool's Eiswolf 2 is compatible with that gpu. Besides that, there's finding a 2nd hand 3080Ti Strix cooler, or going custom loop.

Solution

BlazingSword

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014

Gpu AIO top exhaust, cpu AIO side intake.

Organize a Plan B for the cooler, as there is a major drawback to gpu AIOs that gets overlooked.
Will you end up upgrading that gpu before the warranty expires? If not, you will need a backup cooler for when the pump fails or shows signs of it - the same applies to the cpu AIO, but it's more inconvenient with gpu AIO's.
I checked, and this version of Alphacool's Eiswolf 2 is compatible with that gpu. Besides that, there's finding a 2nd hand 3080Ti Strix cooler, or going custom loop.
Wait so the gpu AIO cooler has a shorter life than the gpu itself? I had no idea this was an issue. Honestly I believe i will stick with this gpu for a good while, i wouldve kept my 2080ti if it wasn't for my particular situation, so i guess in the end i might need to buy a second cooler, by the way, by having a plan b you mean to buy it now and keep it until i need to replace the included one?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Wait so the gpu AIO cooler has a shorter life than the gpu itself? I had no idea this was an issue.
Well, yes. Cpu AIO is no different, but its far more convenient to set aside a backup.
Besides the cost, the biggest con with the majority of AIOs is the pump, which brings an extra, and expensive point of failure.
-Fans are cheap to replace on either air coolers or AIOs, so this isn't a big deal.
-When the pump fails, that's all she wrote. You keep the fans that work, and toss out the rest. Air coolers don't have pumps.

by the way, by having a plan b you mean to buy it now and keep it until i need to replace the included one?
Yes, for the Eiswolf 2. At some point, Alphacool will discontinue production, and after that, you're going to have a hell of a time finding one.
For the Strix air cooler, I'd imagine you'll have a longer time limit for that one. Some will probably sell off theirs as parts, because they moved to custom liquid, or the card broke on them.

TRENDING THREADS