[SOLVED] ROG STRIX won't accept a second ram strip.

Sep 13, 2021
My new gaming build functions with a single ram stick fine, but anytime I add the second stick of the 16 gb set I bought the motherboard beeps and wont start up. I have updated Bios and installed all Drivers. Completely lost on what to do next. I can add links to amazon or any stats in Bios if I need to.
Edit: After clearing CMOS it boots with both RAM sticks installed but the RAM is still not recognized by BIOS or system information so it is not doing anything.

All specs:
Motherboard: ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING II (new
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler
GPU: MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1650 128-Bit HDMI/DP/DVI 4GB
RAM: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 3000MHz
Power Supply: EVGA 850 Bq, 80+ Bronze 850W, Semi Modular,

Last edited:
Solution
first make sure the RAM set is in the motherboard QVL.
if not, then it may have already been determined as incompatible.

if it is listed as compatible:
what DIMM slots are you using?

if the default A_2 / B_2 are not functioning properly;
try A_1 / B_1.

if neither;
try a known functioning kit to ensure the motherboard is not faulty.
first make sure the RAM set is in the motherboard QVL.
if not, then it may have already been determined as incompatible.

if it is listed as compatible:
what DIMM slots are you using?

if the default A_2 / B_2 are not functioning properly;
try A_1 / B_1.

if neither;
try a known functioning kit to ensure the motherboard is not faulty.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution
Hi harmet600 (y)and Welcome to the Forum :)

Well now it's a matter of determining if the issue is with your RAM or does the fault lay with the Motherboard slots.

First check your modules are seated correctly, especially the offside to the clip.

Test your RAM modules by booting from a USB with Memtest86. (or in another system) Run 4 passes and if there are any errors then RMA the full kit.

Test the MB slots with a single module and first test the slot meant for single channel mode. Then test the other slots with the same module that is known to be OK.

To check for a mismatch, see if your DIMM kit is listed on the MB QVL, that they have been tested and known to work. If not listed then try with another kit.

If the sytem allows you to access Bios then manually enter the SPD values for primary Timings and Voltage. You can try uping the DRAM voltage slightly in .01 steps or change the command rate from 1-2.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021
Hi harmet600 (y)and Welcome to the Forum :)

Well now it's a matter of determining if the issue is with your RAM or does the fault lay with the Motherboard slots.

First check your modules are seated correctly, especially the offside to the clip.

Test your RAM modules by booting from a USB with Memtest86. (or in another system) Run 4 passes and if there are any errors then RMA the full kit.

Test the MB slots with a single module and first test the slot meant for single channel mode. Then test the other slots with the same module that is known to be OK.

To check for a mismatch, see if your DIMM kit is listed on the MB QVL, that they have been tested and known to work. If not listed then try with another kit.

If the sytem allows you to access Bios then manually enter the SPD values for primary Timings and Voltage. You can try uping the DRAM voltage slightly in .01 steps or change the command rate from 1-2.
I put in in the B2 A2 slots from the beginning and no luck. The PC functions and boots BIOS and Windows with each RAM individually, but will not recognize both and display that I have 16 GB of RAM in either. I'll test the Memtest to double check that it is working when I get off work, but I am pretty sure it is motherboards slots at this moment in time. I did check everything on both the motherboard website and pcpartpicker.com and everything was compatible.