[SOLVED] ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming has really odd booting procedure

n00blet73

Honorable
Jun 4, 2015
This is an entirely new system. It works but it has a really odd booting procedure.

All I have done, other than install Windows 10 Home is update the bios to the most recent version, 5220 however, the system still booted in the manner I'm about to describe straight out of the box.

Steps with links to pics:
1: Turn on PC and get the ROG initial load screen.
2: Screen progresses to American Megatrends screen listing mobo, cpu, detected devices, etc. This screen also says "CPU Fan Error!" (I'm running Corsair H150i PRO with the fan cable connected to the "D" header).
3: PC never progresses past the above screen unless I hit F1.
4: Hit F1. Enter bios.
5: Exit straight back out of bios without saving.
6: Windows boots and the green mobo led turns off.

I'm plumb out of ideas.

Parts List:
Ryzen 5 2600
ROG Strix X470-f Gaming
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 BG (3200)
Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB SSD
WD Black 4 TB HDD

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
n00blet

Last edited:
Solution
Go into the BIOS and turn OFF the CPU_FAN monitoring/warning in the fan settings for that header.

Maybe you have something plugged into the wrong spot, because from what I see, and know, there is no "D" fan header anywhere on that or any modern motherboard. That board has fan headers labeled CPU_FAN, CPU_OPT, AIO_PUMP, CHA_FAN1, CHA_FAN2, CHA_FAN3, W_PUMP+ and as they are specifically listed in the manual:

(4-pin CPU_FAN, 4-pin CPU_OPT, 4-pin CHA_FAN1-3; 4-pin W_PUMP+, 4-pin AIO_PUMP)

There is no "D" header.
Go into the BIOS and turn OFF the CPU_FAN monitoring/warning in the fan settings for that header.

Maybe you have something plugged into the wrong spot, because from what I see, and know, there is no "D" fan header anywhere on that or any modern motherboard. That board has fan headers labeled CPU_FAN, CPU_OPT, AIO_PUMP, CHA_FAN1, CHA_FAN2, CHA_FAN3, W_PUMP+ and as they are specifically listed in the manual:

(4-pin CPU_FAN, 4-pin CPU_OPT, 4-pin CHA_FAN1-3; 4-pin W_PUMP+, 4-pin AIO_PUMP)

There is no "D" header.

Solution

n00blet73

Honorable
Jun 4, 2015
Thanks for your reply. I'll try that in the morning. I just packed everything up.

When I say "D header" perhaps I was being too specific?

Page 1-15 of the board manual lists the 7 fan headers on the board, A thru G. The AIO_PUMP fan header is listed as "D". I'm talking about what I see in the manual for the motherboard. According to the manual, "D" is reserved for the AIO_PUMP. On the board, it's located to the left of the CPU socket, next to the "CHA_FAN1" and the "RGB_HEADER1 See image below:

View: https://i.imgur.com/eboLkmN.png

Cool man. Glad it helped.

Also, if that is a fan cable you have connected to "D", which is actually the AIO_PUMP header, it would probably be wise to switch that to the CPU_FAN header, and then RE-enable the warning for that header in the BIOS so that you know if there is a fan failure or not. Fans should not really be connected to the pump headers, especially not when there are headers which are free and were intended for use with those connections. But if it's working fine, then that's your call. Good luck to you nooblet. LOL.

Reactions: bencos2018

n00blet73

Honorable
Jun 4, 2015
Cool man. Glad it helped.

Also, if that is a fan cable you have connected to "D", which is actually the AIO_PUMP header, it would probably be wise to switch that to the CPU_FAN header, and then RE-enable the warning for that header in the BIOS so that you know if there is a fan failure or not. Fans should not really be connected to the pump headers, especially not when there are headers which are free and were intended for use with those connections. But if it's working fine, then that's your call. Good luck to you nooblet. LOL.

Thanks. I just re-read my original post and noticed my mistake. I don't have a fan attached to AIO_PUMP, it's the pump head wire. The pump head also has a wire which has connections for up to 3 fans. I have the radiator fans attached to that connection so that the pump head can control their speeds so in reality, there is no cpu fan.

Thanks again!

Reactions: bencos2018