Question ROG Strix X570-E Gaming motherboard - Windows error "Code 10" for USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller ?

Jan 17, 2023
I am trying to see if my ROG Strix X570-E Gaming motherboard is missing a driver within Windows 10 (64-bit) or if someone else has come across the following problem.

Once Windows 10 is logged in, you can navigate to the Device Manager and find an exclamation mark on a USB driver missing related to the xHCI Compliant Host Controller.
From looking online this problem seems like it related to AMD. The information I was able to find shows that the issue has been on the front burner for 3 years and is related to AMD's AGESA. Error code 10 is being generated.

Has anyone on this forum come across the same issue?

Some things done:
  • Made sure the newest revision of Windows 10 done
  • Made sure the newest BIOS revision installed on the motherboard (my son had it on version 1201 - downloaded and installed 4408 as of yesterday)
  • Reviewed multiple videos related to USB xHCI Compliant Host Controllers
  • Reviewed multiple videos related to Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming motherboards
  • Examined posts on Reddit, Microsoft's website, Asus ROG forums...
The only information I came across that seems plausible is to install an Intel software package to update Windows 10. Has anyone had success doing this? I plan on attempting this tomorrow.

Jan 19, 2023
The issue you're describing with the exclamation mark on a USB driver related to the xHCI Compliant Host Controller in the Device Manager is a known issue with some AMD Ryzen processors and the X570 chipset. It appears that the problem is related to the AGESA (AMD Generic Encapsulated System Architecture) firmware used on the motherboard.

You've already taken some of the necessary steps to troubleshoot the issue, such as updating Windows 10 and the BIOS on your motherboard. Installing an Intel software package to update Windows 10 may also help, but it is not guaranteed to solve the problem.

Another thing that you can try is to update the chipset and USB drivers on your motherboard from the ASUS support website. This can help resolve any compatibility issues with the AGESA firmware.

If none of the above solutions work, it is possible that the issue is hardware-related, and the motherboard may need to be replaced. It's best to contact the ASUS support team for further assistance.

It's worth mentioning that this is a known problem and a lot of other users have reported it as well, some of them have found a solution and some didn't, However, there are many solutions available on the internet, you might want to try them one by one until you find a solution that works for you.