Question ROG Strix z370 e display ports not working

Good Egg Guy

Prominent
Apr 2, 2020
Hello, thank you anyone who reads and/or helps me with my problem.

I've been working on my pc for a while now and have gotten everything assembled correctly, but as soon as I turn the power on, nothing is displayed. I assumed it was all the parts so I breadboxed it with only the power, a stick of RAM (later none) and even so, nothing appears on the monitor. I've tried clearing CMOS on the mobo but still nothing happens. The LEDs indicating errors in the CPU, RAM, VGA, and booting have everything on for either a second or a split second, but as soon as it reaches VGA, the light persists, as well as the boot light. Reading some forums, I concluded that it ay be the DVI and/or HDMI ports that were faulty (I've tried both now). And now I consult anyone who's willing to help. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

joleske1738

Commendable
Sep 10, 2017
First off, try a new VGA/DP/Hdmi cable. If it still doesn't work, try a new monitor. If that doesn'y work, it may be a faulty GPU (assuming you have a dedicated graphics card). Good luck.

Good Egg Guy

Prominent
Apr 2, 2020
First off: Wow, quickest reply ever, thank you so much. I have never seen a reply come so quickly

Second: I tried using another HDMI cable and the same result happens. CPU and RAM LEDs turn on then off, but the VGA and boot lights are still on. And I also forgot to mention I'm not using a graphics card, so I'm using the mobo's display ports.

Good Egg Guy

Prominent
Apr 2, 2020
Here is a list of parts I have(I was going for a slightly cheaper "budget":

Installed
mobo: strix z370 e
cpu: intel core i7-9700k
psu: evga 600w atx
ram: patriot Viper 4 8gb (only 1)

Not Installed At the Moment:
hard-drive: wd caviar blue 1tb 3.5"
cpu cooler: cryorig m9i 48.4
case: thermaltake versa h22 mid tower

Here is a list of parts I have(I was going for a slightly cheaper "budget":

Installed
mobo: strix z370 e
cpu: intel core i7-9700k
psu: evga 600w atx
ram: patriot Viper 4 8gb (only 1)

Not Installed At the Moment:
hard-drive: wd caviar blue 1tb 3.5"
cpu cooler: cryorig m9i 48.4
case: thermaltake versa h22 mid tower

From the motherboard official website:

For the 9700K to work you'll need the 1803 BIOS version.

Your motherboard was released with the 8th gen Intel CPUs and is very possible that the BIOS was not updated to support 9th gen CPUs(like your 9700K).
You'll need to send your board for a BIOS update, most likely... as I presume you don't have an 8th gen intel CPU on hands right now.

Last edited:

Good Egg Guy

Prominent
Apr 2, 2020
Your motherboard was released with the 8th gen Intel CPUs and is very possible that the BIOS was not updated to support 9th gen CPUs(like your 9700K).
You'll need to send your board for a BIOS update, most likely.

Does the update happen automatically or do I have to manually start it? Another thing to mention is that there is no BIOS button on the back nor is there any indication as to which port is for BIOS.

Does the update happen automatically or do I have to manually start it? Another thing to mention is that there is no BIOS button on the back nor is there any indication as to which port is for BIOS.

You can't update it by yourself... as I said you need an 8th gen Intel CPU to do that, most likely the current BIOS doesn't support your 9700K, so you'll get no display(system won't POST).

You'll need to take your motherboard to a computer repair shop and let them update it for you or contact Asus support and ask them to send the board for a BIOS update.

Good Egg Guy

Prominent
Apr 2, 2020
Alright, I'll try doing both. I probably would never have thought of any of this on my own, so thank you so much for the help. You just saved me hours of fruitless labor. Thank you. I'll give an update after I do either of those.

Reactions: ChumP

Good Egg Guy

Prominent
Apr 2, 2020
Problem solved! It turns out the on-board display ports on my mobo were just not working. I decided to get a graphics hard to see if it would make something appear on the screen and whaddya know, the LEDs on the board went away and out came the BIOS screen! I'm not sure if it's just my board or if it happens to every z370-e model. Thank you for the support, I probably would've bought an entire new board if you hadn't helped.