[SOLVED] ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming WIFI Ant. Extension?

4lo

Nov 9, 2018
I have the factory coaxial shark fin wifi antenna connected but there is a wall between the antenna and router and severely limiting wifi signal. Just curious if there is a coaxial "extension" cable available so I can route the antenna to the other side of the wall? Probably a dumb question as I assume there could be a data loss if this was possible. Just curious if this was a possibility and what others do when you have a wall or obstructions blocking the signal and impossible to hard wire a computer. Thanks in advance! :D

Solution
The problem with antenna cables is the loss you introduce due to the cable. Microwave frequencies tend to lose a lot. You need specialized cable, if you were to use TV type coax you would lose almost all your signal. They make a number of different type but LMR-600 tends to be most "affordable" for the least lost. There are other LMR type cables it is all a matter of money. You just have to get the length you want and the ends you need.

This is not used as much for wifi because of the cost of the cable and other solution available. For outdoor application you can get bridge units that have electronics and antenna inside 1 enclosure eliminating the need for antenna cables. Indoors most people just use powerline units to get...
The problem with antenna cables is the loss you introduce due to the cable. Microwave frequencies tend to lose a lot. You need specialized cable, if you were to use TV type coax you would lose almost all your signal. They make a number of different type but LMR-600 tends to be most "affordable" for the least lost. There are other LMR type cables it is all a matter of money. You just have to get the length you want and the ends you need.

This is not used as much for wifi because of the cost of the cable and other solution available. For outdoor application you can get bridge units that have electronics and antenna inside 1 enclosure eliminating the need for antenna cables. Indoors most people just use powerline units to get past the wifi issues when running a ethernet cable is not a option.

Solution