Question Rog strix z390 e fan set up

Feb 24, 2020
I am building my first pc and was wondering how to plug in my fans and aio. I have 7 fans total, 4 on on the intake rad and 3 exhaust fans, not to mention the aio pump. However, I am using the z390 e mobo which apparently only has 7 headers total. I’m confused as to which headers to use and whether or not I need fan splitters. I figured I could group the 4 intake fans together but I would really like the opinion of an experienced builder.

Feb 24, 2020
Hi,

To be more helpful, I would like to know which case you have and what model of fans.
I am using the fractal design meshify c case (will not be using included fan), 2x corsair ml 140 pro, 3x thermaltake riing plus 12 rgb TT premium edition (120mm), and an NZXT kraken x62. If I am to drop any fans it would be the nzxt fans.

Superfrog79

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
So, let's start from the beginning.
  • Corsair ML140 Pro x 2, power draw 0.2A each, 4 PIN, no RGB, 140 mm
  • Thermaltake Riing Plus 12 RGB TT Premium Edition x 3, power draw 0.15A each, custom connector (not good), uses provided controler
  • NZXT Kraken x62, 2 x 4 PIN PWM fan

You got your self a big mix of components.

Next, the case:

Top fan: 2 x 120/140 mm
Bottom fan: 1 x 120 mm
Front fan: 3 x 120 mm or 2 x 140 mm
Rear fan: 1x 120 mm

So you can put up to 7 fans. But there is also radiator with fans. You can put:
  • NZXT top, Thermaltake front, but that does not leaves space for ML140 pro
  • NZXT front, ML140 pro top, one TT at the bottom and one at the rear end

Because of radiator can only be put at the top and in front, you don't have much other choice.
That is some solution if you want to put all fans.

You can remove NZXT fans and put 120 mm TT fans, 2 pcs on in.
Then you can for example radiator with 2 x TT put it on the top, then you can put ML140 x 2 in front. and you can put 1 TT at the bottom. So you will have light from the top and from the bottom. You can use one NZXT fan to put it at the back of the case.
Only problem is how long are cables for TT to reach the controller unit. I am not sure if it is some kind of custom cable on TT, if it is, than it will be impossible to find extension cable for it.

When you finally decide of where the fans will be installed, then we can talk about headers.

Feb 24, 2020
I am thinking corsair LL120 RGB 120mm Dual Light Loop RGB LED PWM Fan. Thank you for letting me know about the unique connection of Themaltake. Again I am new to the hobby and would have never caught the difference until it was time to actually build it

Last edited:

Superfrog79

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
Hi,

The idea is to use what you have bought, not to waste more money. If radiator size is 280 mm, then you can use L140 fans you already have. Then put radiator on top and TT on front. Three led fans in front will look fine. But that leaves you without fans at the bottom an at the back.
First of all, you have to sure what you want from fans. If you want to have good looking case, go for RBG fans, all of them. Putting some regular and some RGB fans, after finishing you build would lead you to say: "Oh!, I could put all RGB's, it would look better". PMW fans are great choice for this motherboard. Your motherboard could be programmed to completely turn of fans if temperature of system is low. That will make your build very quiet.
As far as I can see, LL120 RGB comes with custom RGB connectors, which make you depend on their RGB controller. Since you already have great Aura Motherboard, this will only make your live tougher. I saw on their website that their fans comes with two controllers. If you are not experienced, this will only take you more time to build. Also, you will need to use their RGB software, because their RGB hub is connected to motherboard via USB 2.0. So, it won't let you use AURA software from ASUS (probably, but I am not 100% sure). Which also leads to cabling. At the beginning it always seem that case is big enough for lot of cables, but believe me, when you check how many cables you have, you will wish for more space. So, if you are ok to have additional RGB hub and not to use AURA which comes with Z390E it's ok. Usually you buy fans with custom hubs if you are not satisfied with RGB on board or if you have older build and you want to refresh it with RGB. By the way, I have Z390E motherboard and I am using AURA. I am satisfied so far.
I am suggesting you that you need to have your build created in your mind, then you have to explore your options and then go for shopping. Buying something and then discovering that it is not the right choice is wasting of time and money. Imagine what you want, where do you want to place your fans, do you want your build to be nice and shiny or not. Do you want to bother self with custom controllers or you want to use the one on motherboard. Then explore your options, check what components will be the ones right for you. Don't go mixing different technologies. If you are going for custom hubs, go for custom hubs for all. You cannot use 1 fan on AURA, 1 fan on Corsair software. You need to chose your technology. Eventually you can use, but it will work not depending on each other, which is bad.
My opinion is because you bought some regular and some RBG fans, that you are still undecided of what you want to do with your build and how do you want it to look like, you are new to this and you haven't imagined your build to the end. You just choose the fans you like (or saw on internet on somebody's other build), not knowing about their technology. Am I right?

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020
Actually I do know what I want my pc to look like. Because the case doesn’t have a tempered glass on the front, it will make it harder to see the actual fans, and I don’t want just the glow off the rgb, hence the non rgb fans on the front. I also like some “elegant busy work” in my case so putting the rad on the front stretches the tubing out making them stand out a little more. This also has the benefit of providing the cpu with fresh air instead of pre heated air coming off the you. On the rear and top, I will be able to see the fans so I want them to “pop.” And when you say bottom, do you mean under the psu shroud?

Feb 24, 2020
What meant was I am going to be returning to thermaltake fans and exchanging them for the Corsair ones. I did look around options but I didn’t like the look of having the entire fan light up, I just wanted a ring around the fan. What happened was I was only on pcpartpicker so all I had was static images and what I now to be false info. When I went to thermaltake’s website I found the correct information and I found a video of the the Corsair fans on amazon and decided that they weren’t that bad looking. My biggest mistake was only using the one site. Also according to the q&a’s on Amazon, the rgb doesn’t even work without the hubs, but I’m not quite sure about that as I saw mixed answers. But that right there is another reason I am exchanging them, because the thermaltake hub is powered off a molex connector, something that 90% of psu today don’t even have.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020
One last reason I am getting the Corsair fans is that the pwm is easier to daisy chain together than the usb. But we can argue about looks and what parts to get and not to get all day, but in the end, it’s my money and my choice. This also won’t help answering the original question, however I came up with a better question. On that will help me figure out the answer to the first question on my own: The ASUS ROG Strix z390-e Gaming motherboard has 7 cooling headers. 1 of them is labeled CPU fan, another is labeled AIO pump, 2 more are labeled case fan 1 and 2. This leaves 3 more. What are these 3 headers, how are they different, why are they different, and why would I use them?

Superfrog79

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
Consider this model if you want light but not too much: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/case-fan/masterfan-mf122r-rgb/
But beleive me, when you put light in your computer, you will want more. ;)

As far as I can see, Z390E has:
  • CPU_FAN
  • CPU_OPT
  • CHA_FAN1
  • CHA_FAN2
  • M2_FAN

These are fan headers for internal fans. No more headers. In Asus software you can choose what fan header is connected to what position. So, you can program them separately.
By the way, I have 6 fans and all are connected to one header through hub. No need to use more headers.
But you can connect with splitter few fans on one header and few fans on other header and then apply them to position on software and program RPM for certain position. Check this link: https://cdn.lo4d.com/t/screenshot/500/ai-suite-iii.png
For myself I bought cooler master fans. They have their own programmable controller, but they use standard PWM header for power and standard ARGB header (or RGB if fan is RGB) for color. So, they are easy to use. Ofcourse, that is my choise, I wanted my mobo to control them all.
For example to make you clear, you can connect bottom fan on CHA_FAN1, front fans on CHA_FAN2. Then you can add them in AI SUITE to that position you placed them. Than you can program them. For exeample, if temperature of CPU is higher than 50C, front fans start to blows more. Then you can program other header if mobo temperature reaches 40C, then other header blows connected fans to 80% for example. That is why you have so many headers.
The best solution is always the simplest one. Dont go with different technologies on FANS and RGB (or ARGB). Chose only one. If you have mobo which support ARGB and RGB, why not use its headers?
If you buy splitter for fans, you can connect them easily. Also you can use splitter cable. All fans are same, one cable for power, one for rgb. If Corsair are easy to connect, the others are east to connect as well. That is my opinion.

So, first chose you fan technology: RGB or ARGB
Then, chose if you fans would run always on constant speed (3 PIN fans) or you want to control them (4 PIN PWM fans)
Check your case manual and see how many position have for installing fans and what size of fan is available for that position and then go to shopping.
Put everything on paper and don't hurry.

It is your hobby after all? You have to enjoy it.
Please let me know if I can help you more.

Feb 24, 2020
Differents between rgb and argb? Also how can I tell what fan uses which? Also I do like the extra rgb on the Corsair fans but I am still unsure as to if it requires the rgb hub to work. Could you clarify that for me as well? Also the rgb headers on the mobo, the are 3 right; 2x 12v G R B headers and 1x 5v digital addressable header. What do those mean? And finally, the nzxt kraken has its own rgb, does this mean it has an rgb cable along with the pump cable?

Feb 24, 2020
Sorry one last question on top of that pile: how would I remedy too many rgb/argb cables for the mobo? Can I just daisy chain multiple together like I would for the pwm: just plug them into an rgb 2-1 splitter cable?

Superfrog79

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
This is RGB, 4 PIN header 12V

2849241-a.jpg

This is ARGB, 3 PIN header 5V

MOLE_056_015d4af82f44ff7_800x800.jpg

You can use splitter if motherboard can deliver enough power to fans. If not, you have use hub which is powered from PSU.
Every manufacturer has information about power draw on its site.
Z390E can deliver 3A per header (please check in instructions for accurate data).
PWM is other thing, since fans has both PWM and (A)RGB cables, you need to connect them both. One cable is for power in order fans to run, one cable is for lightning.

PWM cable looks like this:
CB009KK_196134_800x800.jpg

Only with 4 PIN cable from your fan you can control speed of rotation. If fan has 3 PIN power cable, then you can't.
Don't mix power and light cable.
What about daisy chains? Why is that bothering you so much?
Are you sure NZXT water cooling fans has light on fans? I am not sure of that. Please check the instructions. As far as I saw on their website:
Connect the 3-pin connector on the power cable set to the 4-pin CPU_FAN connector on the motherboard.
If 3 pins fans will run constant speed.
And for core (the part that goes on processor) you will need to connect usb cable in it and other side to usb on motherboard (in the place where you usually connects usb from front panel, this board has two usb 2.0)
main-qimg-cc37c8ef5eec3c2b8cea1403b6b39692

But check instructions from NZXT, it is animated and easy to understand: https://www.nzxt.com/manuals/krakenx/X52-X62-115X.html

Feb 24, 2020
I understand the difference between pwm and rgb/argb. I ask about daisy chaining bc I am in sure as to if I have enough headers for the rgb. For example, the z390 e only has one argb header. So how would I connect 3 argb fans to it. Or if I decide to go for rgb, can i still use the argb header, if not how do I connect 3 rgb fans to 2 rgb headers? I asked about the rgb on the nzxt core, not the fans I already knew those didn’t have rgb, because I wanted to know if I would be using a 4th rgb/argb cable, but I now know it just uses usb.

Superfrog79

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
I understand the difference between pwm and rgb/argb. I ask about daisy chaining bc I am in sure as to if I have enough headers for the rgb. For example, the z390 e only has one argb header. So how would I connect 3 argb fans to it. Or if I decide to go for rgb, can i still use the argb header, if not how do I connect 3 rgb fans to 2 rgb headers? I asked about the rgb on the nzxt core, not the fans I already knew those didn’t have rgb, because I wanted to know if I would be using a 4th rgb/argb cable, but I now know it just uses usb.
This will help you connect 6 fan onto one header: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/rgb-accessories/masterfan-argb-and-pwm-hub/
I have that hub and I connected 6 ARGB fans onto one header. This is how it looks like on my pc. And it is all controled by aura from motherboard. Cpu fan is connected to RGB header near cpu_fan connector.
View: https://imgur.com/MpmS3N8

Last edited: