ROG Swift vs Samsung U28D590D 28 4k

PsychoBear

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014
G'day all, I've been looking around for a new monitor as my last one (an Asus VG248QE) got completely obliterated in a bit of a freak accident, I looked around and set my eyes on the ROG Swift for the fact that it's a much better monitor than previous plus the added benefit of G-Sync but when a friend went into the local electronics place to look into ordering one in for me they instantly said "No, get this 4k one, it's far superior" and sent them back here with big and confusing explanations as to why it's better and a few specs that are also a little made up (like 200hz refresh rate when it clearly is capped at 60hz maximum and impossible to get 200hz with 4K regardless), after surfing the net for ages to see which would be the better deal, a $600 4K or the $1000 ROG Swift, I'm probably more confused than when I started, the main issue being whether I can get to 60fps on any games at all and possibly keep it there on a 4K or not, I've found I'm fairly sensitive to framerate and I've managed to be able to notice the difference between hitting 144 and 130-ish frames, and I need to know if the limitation to 60 or less is worth it over a monitor that is quite clearly a cut above the previous one and with less chance of "failure" than the 4K?

Current specs:
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
32gb RAM
2x GTX 770 which I assume is 2gb each but I'm not sure if DXdiag combines both or not as it says 4gb.

Hopefully that's enough, sorry if it's a bit of a TLDR type thing but I really just need a straight answer, I hate speculation and theoreticals because they will not help me get anything actually done.

Regards, Psycho.

Solution
I'm not a pro in this department. If I had the money I'll definitely buy Rog Swift.
because:
- BADASS Monitor
- 1440p
- 144hz Refresh Rate
- 1ms Response Time
- G-Sync
- ULMB [Ultra Low Motion Blur Technology]

On the other hand 4k, but TN panel? No thank-you!

dovah-chan

Honorable
The swift is the first of its kind for sure but I would really wait and G-Sync is probably going to go out the window anyway as free sync is guaranteed to win since it's VESA approved and in the DP 1.3 spec. If you got the money go for it but really it would be more wise to wait.

Ali_uae

Distinguished
I'm not a pro in this department. If I had the money I'll definitely buy Rog Swift.
because:
- BADASS Monitor
- 1440p
- 144hz Refresh Rate
- 1ms Response Time
- G-Sync
- ULMB [Ultra Low Motion Blur Technology]

On the other hand 4k, but TN panel? No thank-you!

Solution

PsychoBear

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014

Thanks for the quick reply, though I'm not entirely sure if that's exactly what I'm really asking about. I'm not worried about the pricings or the whole G-Sync VS FreeSync and which is the better technology at this point mostly because they're technologies being marketed by, from my understanding, competing companies and both are still going to be a while away from perfection and I basically need a monitor yesterday since the one I'm using currently is a quite cruddy ECO Dell monitor that pretty much makes me go into convulsing fits on the floor when I play games on it at 60hz, down from my old 144hz, in really crap definitions and colours, more than anything I'm asking if it's worth going for a 4k over the ROG since I'm obviously quite heavily into my games performing at good frames with nice definition and such and if the jump from 1080p to 4k is really a big deal and worth it over a jump from 1080p to 1440p, since I'm fairly certain I would have to sacrifice a fair amount of graphical fidelity and texture in order to even get close to 60fps on a 4k. So it's more a question of, is 4k at all worth it, will my PC be running games at anywhere near Ultra on a 4k, and if not, is the downgrade in graphics worth it for the 4k res or is the 1440p going to be a better option if I want to keep things looking nice and running smooth?

PS: Took too long to type that one out, but also thank you also Ali_uae and to be honest, that's what I was looking at, too, it seems that the ROG definitely has the gaming advantage despite all this crud that the electronics store was pumping it saying "It's just a gimmick, you won't notice any difference between this and a 4k", the only big difference I can see is pricing wise, I could get the 4k monitor for a couple hundred since I have credit to spend plus it would be on an interest free repayment system, whereas I'm forking out the full grand plus a bit more for postage on the ROG.

dovah-chan

Honorable
Free Sync is more likely to gain market prevalence quickly due to it being open source and cross compatible with many GPU chipset manufacturers. (it will work with AMD, Intel, Nvidia, and mobile chipset makers such as Adreno as long as the GPU itself supports the DP 1.3 imterface)

I tend to like to think of the swift as a proof of concept. Oh and I don't know why the fact that the 4K monitors panel being listed as TN was a con when both monitors have TN panels.

I do believe Overlord has a 120Hz 1440p IPS panel based monitor that is less than the swift actually.