Question Roku makes Wi-Fi slow on PC ?

Alectrona

Great
Jan 15, 2024
Ok so I have a Roku with fiber broadband, 500 up and down. The problem is whenever someone is streaming something the WiFi connection on my PC is insanely slow. Anybody know of a quick solution to my issue?

I assume the roku is some kind of set top box that also uses wifi ? or did they make some kind of roku router.

Wifi is a extremely stupid design sometimes. It is half duplex and depends on the end devices themselves to not transmit over the top of each other. The problem is many times the devices can hear the router but can not hear each other.

What I suspect is the signal levels on your pc are not the best so the roku signal is over powering them.

Most routers have a 2.4 and 5g radio band maybe try to put the roku on one and your pc on the other.

Alectrona

Great
Jan 15, 2024
I assume the roku is some kind of set top box that also uses wifi ? or did they make some kind of roku router.

Wifi is a extremely stupid design sometimes. It is half duplex and depends on the end devices themselves to not transmit over the top of each other. The problem is many times the devices can hear the router but can not hear each other.

What I suspect is the signal levels on your pc are not the best so the roku signal is over powering them.

Most routers have a 2.4 and 5g radio band maybe try to put the roku on one and your pc on the other.
Yep the roku is directly next to the router. I would have done what you suggested but the 2.4 and 5ghz bands are combined together on my router.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
What matter is what router model you have? What's wifi router's 802.11n 2.4G, 802.11ac 5G or 802.11ax bandwidth?

1tb internet? Never heard of it. It doesn't matter if your wifi bandwidth is saturated on you LAN side.

And as suggested by others, put your PC and Roku on different channels.

Alectrona

Great
Jan 15, 2024
What matter is what router model you have? What's wifi router's 802.11n 2.4G, 802.11ac 5G or 802.11ax bandwidth?

1tb internet? Never heard of it. It doesn't matter if your wifi bandwidth is saturated on you LAN side.

And as suggested by others, put your PC and Roku on different channels.
I just said my router does not support 2 channels

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
but the 2.4 and 5ghz bands are combined together on my router.
You said they are combined. So brand & model of the router? You should use different SSID for 2.4G & 5G so you know which channel each device is connecting to.

And what were others streaming? Video or torrent? One 4K video only consumes 25Mbps and shouldn't affect your PC.

Last edited: