Role playing games

crazed_clown

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2004
What is a good role playing game for the computer?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by crazed_clown on 12/11/04 04:11 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
You after single player, multiplayer, or mmorpg?
For single player I'd go with Neverwinter Nights, it was pretty damed good. I don't know about a good small scale multiplayer one, I never played neverwinter online to know how great that was but I'm sure it was ok. MMORPGs are the biggest thing for PCs. The latest greatest ones are Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, and Ever Quest 2. They are all pretty good but you will need a beefy machine to play em :)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

CorpusBiscuit

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
Neverwinter Nights is good, but I enjoyed the player made modules/adventures more than the original single-player campaign. Also, although the game generated mixed feelings, I enjoyed The Temple of Elemental Evil. Then theres: Knights of The Old Republic (also on X-Box), Morrowind, Arcanum, Fallout, Fallout II, Planescape (?, I never played it...) Baldur's Gate (the original and it's expansions), and my all time personal favorite Baldur's Gate II.

i found morrowind to be a little mundane, but to each his own i guess.

"Never underestimate the predictability of Stupidity."
<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Neurotic Narcissist.}=-</A>
<A HREF="http://www.youreadopted.com/" target="_new">Guess what?</A>

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
<A HREF="http://www.p3int.com/KULT/default.asp" target="_new">Kult</A> is definitely a refreshing look at RPG. It's not a graphical miracle but the gameplay I found astoundingly original. I'm not too sure it's released in the states yet, but you can get it from Europe by mail order.

BigMac

<A HREF="http://www.p3int.com/product_center_NWO_The_Story.asp" target="_new">New World Order</A>

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I am still not sure if it gets better than the origional Baldur's Gate. And that is followed up by Icewind Dale, BG2, and IWD2. But over the course of the last two years, Neverwinter Nights is the game most played on my computer.

<font color=red><b>NF7-S/MBarton 2500+
210x11.5 1.82v SP-97
GB Corsair XMS PC3200
BBA 9800 Pro 423/369</font color=red><font color=black>
NF7-S/MBarton 2600+
210x11.5 1.76v
512MB CVR PC3200
Sapphire 9500@9700

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Balders Gate 2 if u can deal with the graphics is one of the most immense games I have ever played.

Other good RPGS.

Deus Ex1: Brilliant
Knights of the Old Republic: Brilliant
Morrowind: Brilliant initially but requires dedication and a big machine.
Neverwinter Nights: Good but very easy which leads to boredom, also no real group dynamics as u only have 1 AI controlled team mate.
Vampires2: Bloodlines is rough but very very good.

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"

BrandtP

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
For a more "true" RPG experience, go with Fallout 1 & 2, Planescape: Torment. I say this because these are titles that offer solutions to problems other than combat. I loved the original Baldur's Gate, but it seemed like many quests ended in the original questgiver betrsying the party and fighting. In Fallout and Planescape, however, your character's attributes play a role in dialogue options and often your choice of what to say can lead to the solution. Of course, the option always exists to fight your way out of a situation.

Planescape shines in the areas of a unique setting, interesting story, great NPC backgrounds, great dialogue. The only problem is finding all three of these. Also, I played Planescape about 6 months ago and it didn't seem to like my newer video card, I was getting distorted spell effects. Maybe different drivers would have helped. Anyway, my $0.02.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Actually rereading this topic I've dug my copy of BG2 up from its dusty resting place and will be reinstalling and playing it..... Never did get planescape.... and now I never will given its age.....

I'm not a mad rpg'er but they are nice as a break.... Looking forward to BG2 now when I get home from work :)

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"

BrandtP

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
Wolfy, if you happen to find the jewelcase release of Planescape (if you live in the US Best Buy may have a copy), do yourself a favor and pick it up. The beginning is a tadd slow, but after that it is a great experience.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
I live in Ireland and it's extremely unlikely I'll get a copy..... It's unlikely I'd play it tho.... I'm not obsessive about RPG's and I tend to get annoyed by having to read loads of text during a game.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I suggest Runescape. It one of the harder games. Http://www.Runescape.com.

There many things you can do ike be a mage or fighters ranger. Tons of quest and they seem to add quest every few weeks.

There 13 skills you have to work on.

Attack, Strength, defence, Range, Prayer, Magic, Runecrafting, Hits, Agilty, herblore, Thiving, Crafting, Fleching, Mining, Smithing, Fishing, cooking, Firemaking and Woodcutting.

And you can Pk people or Not. Castle wars and Dualing.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
Nobody suggested Vampires the Masquerade: Bloodlines yet, so I will. I am playing it right now and I think it's rather addictive, if you like that kind of thing.

BigMac

<A HREF="http://www.p3int.com/product_center_NWO_The_Story.asp" target="_new">New World Order</A>

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Actuuuuuuually I did :p Although childishness aside it is a fantastic game. But rough. They really should have delayed it a little and taken more time to balance and hone the fighting system as well as polish the game. They are so many glaring little problems with it that should never ever have made the final version. I just hope a patch sorts it out.

My biggest problem with the game tho is a totally asthetic one. I hate the fact that your forced to use a premade model for yur character. I'm gangerel and I'm playing as a black dude with dreadlocks who is dressed like a bike courier. Thats not the image I had in my head when I wanted to be a vampire. Also when U get access to armour (leather clothes) I look like I'm in school wearing a jacket thats too big for me. So basically they should have spent the time on sorting out the little issues and this game would have been utterly brilliant. As it is, it badly needs a patch.

BrandtP

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
Well, Wolfy, you're in luck. The Bloodlines patch was released just yesterday IIRC. Check out the angry old farts at www.rpgcodex.com for more.

Your comment about the glaring little problems that never should have made it to the final game is not only an industry-wide problem, but seems to plague Troika more than others (Temple of Elemental Evil had such potential). This is a shame, because they actually do make great RPGs.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
great cheers for that altho I from what I see it doesn't fix any of the major problems just minor levels bug that u get in any RPG of this type.

and like u say all games are like this nowadays but this game is worse than most in the roughness stakes.... Watching in game cutscenes where ppl flick backwards and forwards on the spot or sound that sometimes jumps out of sync. Particularly annoying are the clipping issues like when u first meet LaCroix and he is at his desk and I can't remember if he is sitting down initially but now when I meet him he is standing up through the chair..... Little silly glitches like that just annoy the crap outta me but saying that Vampires2 is one of the best RPGs I've played in a while and considering I'm not fond of RPG's I reckon thats gotta be a compliment to the game.

Oh another complaint I have is that my character doesn't feel very vampire like..... I'd have loved combat to be like the cut scene at the very start when the tutorial vampire falls from the sky and kicks the crap outta the sabbat guy. Thats the way I want combat to be and I also wanna be able to jump really high and in general do cool vampire stuff. As it is in my game I'm just looking like some jamaican dude running around the place.... :)